Homemade berry sauce whether it is made from all strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or a combination like I did here, is the easiest and tastiest way to dress up so many things. From pancakes to ice cream or any dessert needing a topping, this sauce is a real keeper and so easy to make.
Berry sauce is not the same as homemade preserves that you might make for sandwiches since the consistency of this sauce is much thinner. The ingredients are similar but the cooking time and ingredient amounts will be different.
Now you can buy these sauces in the store but they are usually loaded with preservatives or an overabundance of sugar which is not ideal. You may also notice that the fruit in these berry sauces that you buy are also usually mushy and not very appetizing.
With just a few simple ingredients you can make this super simple sauce. It stores really well in the refrigerator and can be frozen and then thawed overnight in the refrigerator if you want to have extra on hand for last minute desserts.
Ingredients you need for this homemade berry sauce are:
- Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- Corn Starch (optional)
When you first start cooking the sauce it will just look like berries coated in sugar but give it a little time and you will see the sauce start to form before your eyes. If you read the ingredient list above you may have noticed that corn starch is an optional item you can add.
Cornstarch will help make the sauce thick but it will give it a slight cloudy appearance. I make this sauce both ways and they both turn out amazing. In these picture, the sauce is made with a little bit of corn starch so you can see how it looks.
There are so many ways to use this sauce. One of my favorites to use this is as a berry sauce for pancakes. I will even entertain guests with this as a dessert where I pour this over ice cream because it is easy and with a few simple but amazing ingredients, it tastes out of this world delicious. If I am feeling like doing a little bit more, I like to make these mini cheesecake bites and then top those with the sauce.
Here are some more ideas of how to use this berry sauce:
- Use as a berry sauce for pancakes
- On french toast
- Inside or on top of Crepes
- As a gallette filling
- Top your shortcake dessert
There are endless ways to use this sauce and any way you use it it will be amazing.
Easy and Delicious Berry Sauce
- 1/2 lb fresh or frozen strawberries quartered if using fresh
- 1/2 lb fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 fresh lemon juiced
- If you are using cornstarch, add your lemon juice and cornstarch together and mix well in a small bowl then proceed to next step. If you are not using cornstarch then proceed to next step.
- To start, in a small sauce pan add all of the above ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once it comes to a simmer, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until it begins to thicken a little bit and the juices begin to release from the berries.
- Once this happens, remove from the heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Once it has come to room temperature, place your sauce into a jar with a lid or cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Once the berry sauce is chilled you can add it as a topping to your favorite dessert or breakfast.
- Any berries can be used for this recipe. Just keep the quantities the same.
- The berry sauce can be frozen after it has cooled. Just place in a freezer proof bag a freeze. When you are ready to use it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.