When summer rolls around, grilling is our favorite way to make most of our meals. These summer grilled potatoes in foil are one of our favorite ways to make potatoes and it only takes a few simple ingredients. You can serve these grilled potatoes alongside grilled Summer pork chops, hamburgers, dijon steak skewers or citrus chicken kabobs for a complete meal that is all done on the grill.
Why I love this grilled potatoes recipe
Grilling potatoes in foil packs are one of the easiest ways to prepare the most delicious and perfectly cooked potatoes. Just wrap the potatoes up and throw them on the grill and let them do their thing.
There is no need to pre cook the potatoes for this grilled potatoes recipe and once you begin grilling them, they are ready in just 20-30 minutes.
Grilling potatoes instead of using the oven not only is just as easy (if not easier) but I also love that I do not have to heat up my house by using the oven in the summer. These grilled potatoes are perfect for grilling season or for an easy camping meal.
The potatoes are cut into slices, tossed with some melted butter, garlic powder and salt and sealed in foil to cook through over the grill. If you like extra crisp potatoes, we have added some tips for that below in the recipe section for you!
I love adding these grilled potatoes to my other favorite summer sides of pesto pasta, grilled zucchini and squash , Mediterranean bean salad and my Caprese pasta salad. You can round out the meal with a bramble cocktail or watermelon margaritas for a complete summer experience!
Ingredients you will need
- Red baby potatoes. I prefer grilled red potatoes but you could certainly use golden potatoes for this recipe.
- Unsalted butter. We always have unsalted butter in our fridge and add salt to it. You can also use salted butter for this grilled potatoes recipe.
- Garlic powder. Garlic powder gives such a delicious flavor to the grilled potatoes and it goes so well with the butter.
- Kosher salt. If you are using regular table salt, make sure to half the amount of salt in the recipe.
- Freshly ground black pepper.
- Aluminum foil. This is a grilled potatoes in foil recipe so this is a must. You can use regular or heavy duty aluminum foil.
How to grill potatoes in foil
These really easy grilled potatoes take just a minutes to throw together and about 20-25 minutes on the grill depending on how crisp you want them.
- Prepare Potatoes and toppings: You want to melt the butter and mix in the garlic and salt. Then cut up the potatoes into slices and mix it all together.
- Make the foil packets for the potatoes: You want to tear about 4 medium pieces of foil to put the potatoes in. I like to line the foil sheets on a sheet pan and then use a large spoon to scoop the potatoes into the foil. Once you do this you can begin to seal the foil packs. Make sure they are nice and sealed so the butter doesn't leak out during the grilling.
Pro-Tip: For extra crispy potatoes, just leave a little space open in the top of the foil packets when they are on the grill. This will allow the moisture to escape during the cooking and you will have delicious crisped up potatoes when they are done cooking.
Tips and variations for these foil pack potatoes
- You can add any toppings to the grilled potatoes or just simply eat them as is because they are delicious. I love a little sour cream and chives for a more decadent side dish.
- If you want to lighten this up a bit, you could use olive oil in place of the melted butter and they come out just as amazing.
- When making the foil packs, you can make individual serving portions like I did or you can choose to make one big foil pack. Just make sure that if you use one large piece of foil that the potatoes are mostly sitting flat on the aluminum foil so they cook evenly.
- You can use other varieties of potatoes for this recipe. Golden potatoes, sweet potatoes and fingerling potatoes all work great.
No. You just seal the sliced potatoes in foil which creates steam that cooks the potato.
These grilled potatoes in foil cook up the best over indirect heat during the cooking portion and then placed on direct heat to crisp them up at the end.
If you want some ideas of what to serve with these potatoes in foil, here are some of our favorites:
More Like This
If you love this grilled potatoes in foil recipe, you may also love these:
Grilled Potatoes in Foil
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 ½ lbs baby red potatoes sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- Pre-heat your grill to medium heat, about 400 degrees.
- Slice your potatoes to about ¼ inches thick and set aside.1 ½ lbs baby red potatoes
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a large bowl (about 1 minute).4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Once butter is melted, add garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix together.1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- Now add the sliced potatoes to the bowl and mix well making sure to coat all the potatoes in the butter.
- Now tear 4 pieces of aluminum foil about 8 inches x 8 inches.
- Place the four pieces of foil next to one another.
- Evenly distribute the potatoes in the center of the foil pieces.
- Fold sides in and seal making sure to fold and seal all sides.
- Now give the packets a little shake to spread out the potatoes.
- Place on the grill for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately being careful when you open them since the steam inside is very hot.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here