When summer rolls around, grilling is our favorite way to make most of our meals. These summer grilled potatoes in foil are one of our favorite ways to make potatoes and it only takes a few simple ingredients. You can serve these grilled potatoes alongside hamburgers, dijon steak skewers or citrus chicken kabobs for a complete meal that is all done on the grill.
Why I love grilling potatoes in foil!
Grilling potatoes in foil packs are one of the easiest ways to prepare the most delicious and perfectly cooked potatoes. There is no need to pre cook the potatoes for this recipe and once you begin grilling them, they are ready in just 20-30 minutes.
Grilling potatoes instead of using the oven not only is just as easy (if not easier) but I also love that I do not have to heat up my house by using the oven in the summer.
If you like extra crisp potatoes, we have added some tips for that below in the recipe section for you!
Ingredients you will need
- Red baby potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Aluminum foil
The potatoes are cut into slices, tossed with some melted butter, garlic powder and salt and sealed in foil to cook through over the grill.
How to make grilled potatoes in foil
Pro-Tip: For extra crispy potatoes, just leave a little space open in the top of the foil packets when they are on the grill. This will allow the moisture to escape during the cooking and you will have delicious crisped up potatoes when they are done cooking.
- You can add any toppings to the grilled potatoes or just simply eat them as is because they are delicious. I love a little sour cream and chives for a more decadent side dish.
- If you want to lighten this up a bit, you could use olive oil in place of the melted butter and they come out just as amazing.
- When making the foil packs, you can make individual serving portions like I did or you can choose to make one big foil pack. Just make sure that if you use one large piece of foil that the potatoes are mostly sitting flat on the aluminum foil so they cook evenly.
More Like This
If you love this grilled potatoes in foil recipe, you may also love these:
Grilled Potatoes in Foil
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 ½ lbs baby red potatoes sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- Pre-heat your grill to medium heat, about 400 degrees.
- Slice your potatoes to about ¼ inches thick and set aside.1 ½ lbs baby red potatoes
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a large bowl (about 1 minute).4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Once butter is melted, add garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix together.1 tablespoon kosher salt, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- Now add the sliced potatoes to the bowl and mix well making sure to coat all the potatoes in the butter.
- Now tear 4 pieces of aluminum foil about 8 inches x 8 inches.
- Place the four pieces of foil next to one another.
- Evenly distribute the potatoes in the center of the foil pieces.
- Fold sides in and seal making sure to fold and seal all sides.
- Now give the packets a little shake to spread out the potatoes.
- Place on the grill for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately being careful when you open them since the steam inside is very hot.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Leave a Reply