This Iron Boosting green juice recipe is a little sweet and a little tart and a great way to get your vitamins that your body may be lacking, in this instance iron! I really think this is the best green juice recipe because it is so tasty with the sweet and tart notes combined. The benefits of green juice is it is made with spinach, citrus and fruit which are all so healthy and so absolutely delicious.
Benefits of green juice
If you are looking for a way to increase or maintain your stores of iron and stave off anemia, this spinach based green juice is just the right daily drink for you. It is loaded with spinach, limes and lemons (the citrus helps us absorb the iron in vegetables), banana, apple and pear with a touch of honey and water to blend it all together.
You can tweak this iron rich juice to suit your taste but do not leave out the citrus and spinach part. This is the iron boosting part of the drink.
I like the sweet from the honey and the tart from all the citrus.
Green Juice Ingredients
- Fresh Spinach
There is a lot of good stuff going on in this juice as you can see from the ingredients list. When I make this juice, it just makes sense to make a few of them ahead of time.
I like to store the prepped versions that have not been blended in my fridge for when for when I need a quick boost of energy. It just makes sense to prep all at once.
Preparing this green juice ahead of time
When I prep my ingredients ahead of time, I like to store them in working jars like seen in the picture. When it is time for me to make my juice, I just grab one from the refrigerator and dump it into my Vitamix blender.
I add a little honey and water and blitz away. Super easy and this guarantees that I am going to drink them everyday (because I am lazy sometimes).
Making this green juice into a green smoothie
You can make this into an iron boosting spinach smoothie by adding some ice into the blender instead of water. I like the juice because I feel like it is less filling.
If you prefer smoothies then by all means make it that way! You can also freeze bags of the prepped fruit in the freezer and blend this all up to get a delicious thick smoothie if you don't want to add ice.
Other great recipes high in iron:
There are many more ways to add iron to your diet other than this green juice. The most obvious ways are red meat and even beans.
I make iron rich meals part of my weekly meal rotation. This ensures that my iron levels are kept at an optimal level.
For me, I aim for 3-4 iron rich items a week to really feel good and not have any issues. Below are some of my favorites.
If you are looking for more high iron meal ideas, you may like some of these recipes:
- Spinach and Pancetta
- Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Hash
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Olive Oil
- Roasted Italian Style Brussels Sprouts
- Black Beans Recipe
- White Bean Ragout
- Pasta Fagioli
- Cast Iron New York Strip
Iron Boosting Sweet and Tart Green Juice
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- High powered blender like Vitamix or Blendtec
- 2 bananas sliced
- 2 granny smith apples cut into sections (you do not have to remove the skin)
- 2 Asian Pears ( I like the red ones) cut into sections (you do not have to remove the skin)
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 8 limes juiced
- 8 small lemons juiced
- honey to taste
- 1 cup water
- Prep all of your ingredients above (slice your apples and pears, cut up your banana, etc.)2 bananas, 2 granny smith apples, 2 Asian Pears ( I like the red ones), 4 cups fresh spinach
- Get out 4 containers with lids
- Juice your lemons and limes into a bowl being careful to remove all of the seeds8 limes, 8 small lemons juiced
- Divide all of your apples, pears and bananas evenly into your containers
- Now add 1 cup of fresh spinach into each container
- Next evenly divide the citrus into your 4 containers
- Place the lids on the containers.
- Give a gentle swirl to your containers to distribute the citrus juice over your ingredients (to prevent browning)
- Place the containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
When ready to make juice
- Grab your container from the refrigerator
- Dump all of the ingredients into a high powdered blender (I use a Vitamix)
- Add ¼ cup of water2 bananas
- Add honey or sweetener of your choice (I add about 1 tablespoon)
- Blend on the smoothie function for the time programmed on your blender (about 1 minute and medium and 30 seconds on high)
- When done, pour into your glass and enjoy
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Glad you enjoyed it Tara!
This green juice was delicious!
Hi Bethany. I am so glad you enjoyed the juice 🙂
Just made this tonight, it's so good the pear taste really comes through. It's fantastic, and so healthy 😊
Hi Kate. I am so glad you enjoyed it! I love drinking this for a quick me up and love that it tastes good and is good for you 🙂
I made a batch for the week and it was really tasty.