This Iron Boosting sweet and tart green juice is a great way to get your vitamins that your body may be lacking, in this instance iron! It is made with spinach, citrus and fruit and a little sweetener and so absolutely delicious.
I am always struggling with anemia (hereditary issues) so I must always watch that I get enough iron in my diet so my body has enough to use daily and it has enough to store for when it needs it.
Many issues can cause anemia, especially for women who are pregnant, breast feeding, people who don't eat meat or for those people who do vigorous workouts and loose lots of sweat. You should always make sure you talk to a doctor about the causes of your anemia as it is a very serious issue if left untreated.
About the iron in this green juice:
If you are looking for a way to increase or maintain your stores of anemia this spinach based juice is just the right daily drink for you. It is loaded with spinach, limes and lemons (the citrus helps us absorb the iron in vegetables), banana, apple and pear with a touch of honey and water to blend it all together.
You can tweak this to suit your taste but do not leave out the citrus and spinach part; this is the iron boosting part of the drink. I like the sweet from the honey and the tart from all the citrus.
Ingredients you will need to make this Iron Boosting Green Juice:
- Fresh Spinach
There is a lot of good stuff going on in this juice as you can see from the ingredients list. When I make this juice, it just makes sense to make a few of them ahead of time opposed to just one and store them in my fridge for when for when I need one.
Preparing this green juice ahead of time:
I like to prep my ingredients ahead of time and store them in working jars like seen in the picture. When it is time for me to make my juice, I just grab one from the refrigerator and dump it into my Vitamix.
I add a little honey and water and blitz away. Super easy and this guarantees that I am going to drink them everyday (because I am lazy sometimes).
Making this green juice into a green smoothie:
You can make this into an iron boosting spinach smoothie by adding some ice into the blender instead of water. I like the juice because I feel like it is less filling.
Other great recipes high in iron:
If you are looking for more food ideas for boosting your iron , you may like some of these recipes:
- Spinach and Pancetta
- Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Hash
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Olive Oil
- Roasted Italian Style Brussels Sprouts
Hope you give this drink a try and love it as much as I do!
Iron Boosting Sweet and Tart Green Juice
- High powered blender like Vitamix or Blendtec
- 2 bananas sliced
- 2 granny smith apples cut into sections (you do not have to remove the skin)
- 2 Asian Pears ( I like the red ones) cut into sections (you do not have to remove the skin)
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 8 limes juiced
- 8 small lemons juiced
- honey to taste
- 1 cup water
- Prep all of your ingredients above (slice your apples and pears, cut up your banana, etc.)
- Get out 4 containers with lids
- Juice your lemons and limes into a bowl being careful to remove all of the seeds
- Divide all of your apples, pears and bananas evenly into your containers
- Now add 1 cup of fresh spinach into each container
- Next evenly divide the citrus into your 4 containers
- Place the lids on the containers.
- Give a gentle swirl to your containers to distribute the citrus juice over your ingredients (to prevent browning)
- Place the containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
When ready to make juice
- Grab your container from the refrigerator
- Dump all of the ingredients into a high powdered blender (I use a Vitamix)
- Add ¼ cup of water
- Add honey or sweetener of your choice (I add about 1 tablespoon)
- Blend on the smoothie function for the time programmed on your blender (about 1 minute and medium and 30 seconds on high)
- When done, pour into your glass and enjoy
You May Also Like