Caramelized pink grapefruit is a really simple and delicious breakfast or dessert that takes no time to make. For this dish, the grapefruit gets some sugar added to the top and then quickly broiled in the oven to make a special dish with just a few ingredients.
My favorite time to eat this dish is for breakfast! That is what I grew up doing and I guess it just stuck.
Growing up, we had many citrus trees in our yard and grapefruits were one of those trees. We only had the yellow grapefruit, not this fancier pink variety that you find everywhere in the stores.
We would refrigerate the grapefruits and when we wanted a snack or a quick breakfast, we would just cut them in half, sprinkle some granulated sugar (sometimes a lot of the sugar) and eat away. The best part was the juice that was left in the empty grapefruit rinds that would get all sugary and delicious and that we would drink!
I do have to say that I prefer the pink grapefruit to the yellow because it is much less tart. It is also more beautiful to look at. I will take any type of grapefruit though and won’t complain.
If you love it as much as I do, you might want to check out my grapefruit basil popsicles and my grapefruit cocktail. This recipe calls for brown sugar because it adds that extra special touch a deepness of flavor but you could definitely substitute regular sugar for it if you prefer.
If you are looking for more breakfast ideas, you may like:
This dish is great any time of day and it is quite addictive. I hope you give it a try.
- 1 large pink grapefruit cut in half
- 2 tbsp of course brown sugar
- Pre-heat your broiler to high heat.
- With a sharp knife, cut your grapefruit in half and then cut all along the outer edge of the flesh of your grapefruit, loosening it from the skin.
- Now take your knife and cut along each section of the grapefruit as to release it from the inner membrane of the fruit. Now sprinkle 1 tbsp of brown sugar on each half of your grapefruit.
- Place your 2 grapefruit halves on to a baking sheet and place under the broiler for about 3-5 minutes until you see the edges of the grapefruit start to brown and the sugar bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let sit for a minute as it will be hot.
- To serve: This is great just on it’s own or you can add a dollop of fresh whipped cream on top.