Roasted cauliflower with potatoes and turmeric is one of my favorite ways to eat cauliflower. Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable already but adding it to a sheet pan with potatoes and spices and then roasting it, tastes unbelievable.
This roasted cauliflower and potato recipe is a great healthy side dish and such a winning flavor combo because both vegetables go so well together in terms of both having a mild flavor and both being able to pick up the flavor of spices so well. They caramelize beautifully which makes all the difference when choosing a vegetable for a sheet pan roast.
I absolutely love serving these vegetables along side my Kofta Meatballs. The flavor profiles are very similar and it makes an amazing complete meal for my family.
Why roasting your cauliflower and potatoes is better-
If you are not familiar with roasting vegetables, the roasting process really helps create a deep rich flavor and sweetness that you would not get from boiling and steaming. Boiling vegetables should really never happen.
Also, if boil your vegetables, you will lose all nutrients and the flavor will not be as good. I love the roasting process because it brings out the natural flavors of the vegetables and it also adds a delicious caramelization to them. I think I just may roast all the vegetables we eat in out home.
More of my roasted vegetable recipes:
- Miso Rubbed Broccolini
- Roasted Italian Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Green Beans with Rojo Chimichurri
- Turmeric Potatoes (ok, technically not roasted but they are definitely worth checking out!)
- Roasted Acorn Squash
To add extra flavor to this cauliflower and potato recipe, I added cumin and turmeric because I love those flavors and the turmeric adds extra health benefits. Turmeric and cumin also are a great pair when they are combined.
I am also always looking for ways to sneak some healthy stuff in which is why I have added lots of turmeric. We are also eating vegetables so why not add some more health benefits, especially when it tastes great.
This dish takes only 20-25 minutes so it is perfect for a healthy weeknight side dish or meal. As I mentioned before, this can be used as a taco filling too which tastes great. I sometimes will just add some avocado and salsa to the tacos to complete it and it is a 100% vegetarian and a 100% delicious taco.
Ways to use this cauliflower and potatoes side dish-
I really like to make a batch of these veggies to add to rice bowls with a protein like grilled chicken or pork. Rice bowls are real heroes in the kitchen because it is literally a bed of rice and any toppings you have on hand to create a meal.
This side dish is also great to use as a delicious veggie filling for tacos as a cauliflower taco recipe. You can add these roasted veggies to a quiche during the weeknights and it is perfect for a healthy filling (that recipe is coming soon!) You can get creative and use it as a filling for omelettes too!
However you decide to use this recipe, it will be delicious!
Common questions about making these roasted vegetables:
Do I need to precook my potatoes before roasting them?
No! You are going to fully cook the potatoes in the oven. To make sure the cauliflower and potatoes cook at the same time, you cut the potatoes into smaller pieces.
How to make my potatoes crispy?
This is one that a lot of people struggle with and there are a few things you can do to achieve a perfectly crisp potato.
- The first thing you want to do is make sure you are using a high heat when roasting.
- Always make sure to toss your veggies and potatoes half way through the cooking process.
- Always add oil! This helps them crisp up.
- Add cornmeal or polenta. Yes that is a trick that many Italians use is that they will oil their potatoes then toss them in some cornmeal. Super crispy every time!
- Add some cornstarch! Just 1 tablespoon of cornstarch added to the oiled potatoes before cooking can really help add a super crispy outside. Just make sure to toss the oiled potatoes in the cornstarch well before roasting.
I like the crispness of the potatoes and cauliflower just the way it is. This recipe is not supposed to be super crispy because lightly crisp, both the cauliflower and the potatoes.
This lets me add these vegetables into my tacos and other dishes that I like to use them in. I don't love biting into an overly crisp potato inside my taco 🙂
If you decide making your potatoes extra crisp is what you love then try out the tips above with cornstarch or cornmeal! Cooking is all about making things your own 🙂
Roasted Cauliflower and Potatoes with Cumin and Turmeric
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into medium florets
- 6 medium red potatoes cut into large cubes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Clean your cauliflower and potatoes and pat dry
- Cut your cauliflower into medium sized florets
- Cut you potatoes into large cubes (quarter the potatoes and cut those in half) making sure they are all around the same size
- Mince your garlic
- In a large bowl, add all of your ingredients (garlic, olive oil, spices, potatoes and cauliflower)
- With your hands, mix it all well and make sure the olive oil coats all the veggies
- Pour on to a large sheet pan (or 2 small sheet pans)
- Place in the oven for 20 -25 minutes until it begins to brown and caramelize.
- Toss the veggies after 10 minutes in the oven to make sure they cook evenly.
- When fully cooked, serve immediately with your favorite side or as a filling for tacos.