This dish is very simple with few ingredients but the flavors are amazing. The simple step of charring the broccoli and then squeezing fresh lemon juice on before serving makes this stand out from all the other roasted broccoli dishes. The other step that makes this dish taste really amazing is grating the garlic over a microplane which essentially shreds the garlic and pulls out all of the juices. When you are done grating your garlic, you will be left with garlic pulp and this will really flavor the broccoli.
If you do not have a microplane, you can use a cheese grater using the side with those little tiny holes (you know the one that you never knew what that side was for 🙂 This technique works really well on many vegetable dishes. It will certainly get people to eat more veggies once they try it.
Charred Broccoli with Lemon
- 1 head of broccoli or 1 regular sized bag of broccoli from the store, or 4-5 bunches of baby broccoli
- 2 cloves of garlic grated over a microplane or cheese grater
- 1 lemon zested and then reserved for squeezing juice over top at the end
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- On a large baking sheet, add your broccoli, lemon zest, olive oil and salt
- Grate your garlic over a microplane. This will make a garlic pulp on the back of the microplane so you will need to scoop that off with your fingers after you are done grating and add that over top of your broccoli.
- Now with your hands mix all of this together well so the broccoli is coated with all of the ingredients. It is kind of a gently massage getting all of the garlic and lemon evenly coated on your broccoli.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes, turning your broccoli half way through.
- Your broccoli is ready when it starts to get a char on all the edges of the florets.
- Remove from oven and squeeze your lemon all over the top of the broccoli (making sure to do this through your fingers to catch the seedand gently toss.
- Pour into a serving dish and enjoy!