Chicken with tarragon is a simple and easy recipe that is full of flavor and takes only minutes to make. This creamy tarragon chicken recipe is a classic and easy French dish that you will want to add to your dinner rotation. Unlike many French recipes, this tarragon chicken does not require any special techniques and it's flavor is amazing.
About this chicken tarragon recipe
If you are looking for recipes with tarragon, this tarragon chicken is a must try and I promise you will be making again and again.
This chicken with tarragon is so full of flavor and the fresh tarragon adds a wonderful sweet note. Fresh tarragon is important when making this dish since it has a sweet flavor that you cannot get with its dried version.
It takes only a few ingredients to make this recipe and it is ready in just 30 minutes.
What does fresh tarragon taste like
If you are not familiar with tarragon you are not alone. It is definitely one of the most under utilized and forgotten herbs available to home cooks.
Tarragon actually has somewhat of a licorice flavor if eaten raw but when it is combines in a sauce like this one, it will add a great background sweetness.
I promise, no licorice flavor will be tasted. I hate that flavor and would never allow it in my dishes if it did come through.
This is definitely a tarragon recipe that will be used often!
Why I love this chicken and tarragon recipe
This creamy tarragon chicken recipe makes a really great weeknight meal because it comes together really quickly and with few ingredients. As long as you plan out buying all of the ingredients in this dish ahead of time it should take no more than 30 minutes to make this recipe.
The ingredients, as I mentioned above, do need to be planned ahead of time because there are a few that may not be in everybody's kitchen (ie tarragon, shallots and heavy cream).
Ingredients to make chicken tarragon
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh tarragon
- Shallots (try to use these and not regular onions since they have a much more mild flavor)
- Heavy cream
- Butter (just a touch)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
You can see there are really not many ingredients. It is all about cooking with a few quality ingredient whose flavors go so well together.
The tarragon in this chicken recipe adds a beautiful flavor to the cream, the lemon brightens up, and the flavor of the shallots brings it all together.
This chicken and tarragon dish makes a wonderful quick meal during the week but it is fancy enough to serve to guests. So, you can practice mastering this for yourself and when you need a quick meal to serve up to company, you will feel ready.
How to make creamy tarragon chicken
Step 1 & 2
The first thing that you want to do when making this chicken tarragon is to pound your chicken thin (with a mallet or rolling pin). I like to cover the chicken with plastic wrap so I do not contaminate my kitchen utensils.
Steps 3 & 4
The next thing you want to do is sear and cook the seasoned chicken in a hot pan. Because the chicken was pounded thin, it will cook up quickly.
When it is done, remove the chicken from the pan and place on to a plate and set aside. Now you saute the shallots in the same pan until they are caramelized.
Steps 5 & 6
The last steps are adding the cream and fresh tarragon to the pan making sure to scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pan which give so much flavor. This is called the fond.
Once you have added the cream and tarragon, you place the chicken back in to the pan to warm back up and then it is ready to plate and serve.
Anyone who has 30 minutes can make this easy tarragon chicken recipe. I always love doubling the tarragon sauce for this because I like to serve extra over my chicken.
I also like to serve this with a pasta or a side of roasted potatoes and then dip those into the sauce too. For me, the sauce is what really makes this recipe so amazing!
The tarragon cream sauce is absolutely drinkable! You'll see what I mean when you try it.
Making Tarragon Chicken ahead of time
If you wanted to make this dish ahead of time, You could cook up your chicken ahead of time and then let it come to room temperature before adding it into the cream sauce.
The cream sauce will reheat the chicken beautifully.
What to serve with chicken tarragon
- Pasta Aglio e Olio or any pasta! I like to top the pasta with the creamy tarragon sauce- So good!
- Roasted baby potatoes
- Sauteed spinach
- Charred broccoli
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Asparagus
- Turmeric Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Potato
- Garlic Roasted Green Beans
There are so many great sides to go with this tarragon chicken and I am sure whatever you choose will taste amazing. Just make sure your side dish can scoop up that delicious tarragon cream sauce!
If you decide to not make any sides to go with this chicken tarragon, that is fine too. Just scoop up the sauce with each bite of chicken 🙂
Some helpful tips when making this recipe
- Make sure to use only fresh tarragon. Dried tarragon does not have that same sweet taste.
- You can cook the chicken breasts ahead of time and store them in the fridge until you are ready to make this. Just reheat them on a hot skillet and then proceed with the steps that follow "making the chicken" in the recipe.
- This recipe makes great leftovers. To reheat, place the chicken and all of the remaining tarragon sauce in aluminum foil then seal well. Place it in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so or until hot.
- Double the sauce in the recipe if you love cream sauce. I have debated on whether to just change the recipe to do this but since it is a classic French recipe, I am trying to stay true to how they would serve it.
You may also like these Chicken recipes
- Chilean Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken Satay without the Skewers
- Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
- Chinese Chicken
- Thai Lettuce Wraps
- Herb Roasted Chicken
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Asian Chicken Salad
- Chicken Saltimbocca
- Lemon Butter Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Bowl
- Rotisserie Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Saltimbocca
Chicken with Tarragon
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 ½ -2 tablespoon of fresh tarragon course chopped depending on how much you like
- 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees and place an oven proof plate in the oven to get warm.
- Place a large heavy bottom pan on your stove and add your olive oil and butter and preheat over medium heat.1 tablespoon of butter, 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Now we are going to pound the chicken breasts thin.4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Line a counter with a sheet of plastic wrap large enough to place all 4 chicken breast on. Place your chicken breasts on the plastic wrap and cover with a second piece of plastic wrap making sure all of the chicken is covered well. Take a rolling pin (or something similaand begin to pound down your chicken breasts until they are nice and thin and almost double in size.
- Sprinkle ½ of your salt and pepper on the side of the chicken breasts facing up.½ teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Now place your chicken breasts salt and pepper side down in your pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes a side until they are nice and browned.
- While the chicken is cooking, sprinkle the other ½ of your salt and pepper on the chicken.
- Flip your chicken breasts over and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done cooking add them to the warm plate in your oven and cover it with aluminum foil.
- In the same pan that you cooked your chicken, over medium heat, add your diced shallots and a pinch of salt and cook until the shallots become translucent (about 4 minutes).1 shallot diced
- Now squeeze in the juice from 1 lemon and scrape up the little yummy bits from the pan. Your sauce will take on a light brown color at this point.1 lemon
- Now add your cream and fresh tarragon and mix well and turn heat to low.1 cup of heavy cream, 1 ½ -2 tablespoon of fresh tarragon course chopped
- Add your chicken from the oven back into the pan with the cream and cover.
- Let this sit for about 4 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Plate your chicken by adding it to a plate and spooning sauce over top of the chicken.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Best ever, I am so gonna double the sauce recipe part... yumm I did use dry Terragon just a tad over a tsp... it was perfection. Sprinkle with crushed cashews tooooo.. oh my! Heavenly!
So glad you enjoyed it Lisa 🙂
This was so delicious
Hi RJ. I am glad you enjoyed it!
Came out amazing!
So glad you enjoyed it Jeff 🙂
Anne Marie says
I love this tarragon chicken! I doubled the sauce and added some mushrooms since I had some laying around. So delicious.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it 🙂
This chicken tarragon was so delicious. I am definitely making it again. Great recipe
I am so glad you enjoyed it!
This was so delicious!
So delicious! Excellent recipe
This came out amazing! I grew tarragon this summer and needed a recipe for it and this was perfect. I am going to keep that tarragon plant going so I can make this dish more often:)
Love hearing that! Growing your own tarragon is the way to go 🙂
My first time making this and it turned out amazing. Everyone loved it!
I am so glad to hear that!
This was really easy and delicious.
I'm glad you enjoyed it 🙂
This is our second time making this and it is so good. Very simple and flavorful.
We have made this at least 5 times and love it. I have never used tarragon before so I was excited to add this to our weekly dinners.
This was amazing. I doubled the sauce as suggested and I am glad I did. I will be making this again.