If you are looking for a quick and easy butter sauce for pasta recipe that is absolutely delicious, look no further than this white wine garlic butter sauce for pasta, seafood or vegetables. This creamy and flavorful white wine butter sauce is perfect for a weeknight dinner or even a fancy dinner party. Enjoy it as is or with your favorite additions.
About this white wine butter sauce
This easy to make white wine butter sauce with garlic uses the techniques that you use to make a beurre blanc sauce. In a sense, you can call this a beurre blanc pasta.
If you have never made this type of sauce before, it is very easy! The idea is you are whisking the butter portion of this sauce into the wine and garlic which helps thicken the sauce which makes it delicious and creamy.
My family calls this an elevated butter pasta. I love that it's fancy enough to serve to guests and easy enough for a weeknight meal. My kind of pasta recipe!
White wine garlic butter sauce ingredients
This is such an easy butter sauce recipe for pasta. You only need a few ingredients:
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine like Gavi, Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
- Olive oil.
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
How to make this butter white wine sauce for pasta
First part of the white wine garlic butter sauce:
- Reduce the wine.
- Cook the minced garlic until fragrant, but not browned.
Whisk in the butter:
- Now add a few cubes of butter at a time to the pan and whisk it until the butter melts.
- Keep doing this until all the butter is used.
By whisking in the butter in this white wine sauce, the butter sauce becomes nice and thick. This is the beurre blanc method I was mentioning earlier.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Reserve some of the pasta water for the sauce.
- Add the cooked pasta to the white wine garlic butter sauce and toss well. Add in Italian parsley if you are using it.
- Serve with fresh Parmesan at the table.
This white wine garlic butter sauce for pasta is sure to become one of your go-to recipes when you need something that is both quick and satisfyingly delicious!
Best white wine to cook with
One of my favorite white wines from Italy is the Gavi wine and it makes a really nice white wine to cook with as well. If you love pinot grigio, you will love the Gavi varietal of wine. I find it is smoother and lighter.
Here are some more great white wines to cook with:
- Pinot Grigio
- Sauvignon Blanc
Of course, always make sure that whatever wine you cook with is one that you love to drink. Never buy cooking wine since the flavors of this subpar kind of wine will reduce down and become more pronounce in the dish that you are making.
If you are not a wine drinker, you can ask someone at your local wine store for some recommendations. If you have extra wine leftover, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze for later meals.
White wine pasta sauce
For this white wine pasta sauce, you can use any shape pasta that you prefer. I love using Casarecce (what you see in the pictures), Cavatappi, bow tie pasta (also called Farfalle) or penne pasta.
This white wine butter sauce is best made right before you are ready to eat it. The white wine butter sauce only takes minutes to make so there is no need to have to make it ahead of time.
If you do have any leftover pasta that you mixed into this white wine sauce, go ahead and store that in a container with a lid in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Here are some of our favorite things to serve with this white wine sauce:
More easy pasta recipes like this
If you love this white wine garlic butter sauce, you may also like these:
White Wine Garlic Butter Sauce for Pasta
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 lb Pasta Casarecce, penne or your favorite pasta.
- 12 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 1 cup dry white wine like Gavi Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping optional
- Chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Heat a large pot of water for the pasta then cook pasta until al dente according to the manufacturers instructions.1 lb Pasta
- For the sauce, add olive oil to medium sauce pan over medium heat.1 teaspoon Olive oil
- Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes or until the garlic just starts to soften.4 cloves of garlic
- Add white wine and reduce by almost half.1 cup dry white wine like Gavi
- Now with a whisk, add 2-3 cubes off butter into the pan and whisk until the butter melts12 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- Add 3 more cubes of butter and repeat the whisking.
- Keep doing this until all of the butter is used.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.½ teaspoon Kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- If using, stir in fresh parsley.Chopped parsley for garnish
- Toss in your favorite pasta.
- Garnish with Parmesan.Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Leave a Reply