Goat cheese caper and red pepper crostini is the dish you need to make and when you do you will thank me! The crostini spread is loaded with so much flavor and it couldn’t be easier to make.
Crostini is one of my absolute favorite ways to eat so many foods. It can handle almost any flavor combination whether sweet or savory.
This crostini recipe is a flavor explosion in your mouth thanks to the saltiness from the capers which offsets the sweetness from the roasted peppers. The addition of garlic and herbs just brings it all home.
The spread for the crostini can be made ahead of time making it a great party appetizer as well. I love making a big batch of this and keeping it in the refrigerator for a quick and tasty lunch. All I have to do is quickly make the crostini under the broiler then top it with this wonderful spread.
The ingredients you will need are:
- goat cheese
- roasted red peppers (I like to buy them in the jar already made!)
- fresh herbs and green onions
- salt and pepper
- bread for your crostini
This dish is so easy and requires barely any cooking if you buy your red peppers already roasted like I did. Perfect for a meal on a hot day or on special occasions.
I actually like serving this in the summer when it is too hot to cook a big meal but I also serve it at the holidays because of it’s red and green festive colors.
You can use whatever fresh herbs you have on hand for this spread. The goat cheese really stands up to bold flavors. Just try to find herbs that go well with the capers and red peppers.
If you cannot get your hands on fresh herbs, the capers, garlic and roasted red peppers have enough flavor on their own. I have done this before when I only have these pantry staples around and it tastes just as amazing.
This recipe is for crostini but if you are not into eating bread, Bibb lettuce would be a great base for this goat cheese spread!
Goat Cheese , Caper and Red Pepper Crostini
- 1 baguette bread
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers found in the Italian section of your grocery. Split your peppers in half since they come whole.
- 1 small log of goat cheese plain at room temperature
- 1 jar of capers drained
- fresh herbs of your choice such as basil, oregeno, parsely diced finely, about 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped green onions or chives
- finely diced garlic 1 clove, 1 clove of garlic for making the crostini (left whole)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the goat cheese, capers, garlic and fresh herbs.
- Next, slice up your baguette bread into about 1 inch slices.
- Drizzle with olive oil and place under a broiler until golden brown.
- When golden brown, take out of the oven and repeat on the other side until golden.
- When the bread is done, take a clove of garlic and rub it all over the hot bread to flavor the bread. sprinkle with salt.
- Now, take your crostini and spread the goat cheese mixture on it with a knife.
- When ready to assemble: place a piece of roasted pepper on top large enough to cover your crostini.
- Keep doing this until you have made all of the crostinis.