Greek cucumber salad is one of my favorite fresh salads to make and one that the whole family enjoys. This Greek salad recipe uses tomatoes, feta, cucumbers and dill with some olive oil to round it out. This Greek salad can be served as a side dish with meat, which I love to make with my Kofta meatballs and baked Greek chicken or on its own. Anyway you try it, this greek salad is amazing.
About this Greek Cucumber Salad
There are many variations of Greek salad and this Greek cucumber salad is my favorite. It is very uncomplicated and uses fresh ingredients that you would find in most peoples summer garden.
In fact, this Greek Cucumber Salad is almost always on the table at my Summer BBQs.
This Greek cucumber salad has a little dill added to it for that beautiful flavor that dill imparts and because dill is such a favorite with Greek cooking.
This salad is perfect anytime of year but we especially enjoy making this in the summer and with veggies from our own garden.
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Seedless Cucumber
- Feta Cheese. I prefer to buy feta in a block and crumble it myself. It has a higher moisture content this way.
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Fresh dill. Optional.
How To Make
Making this Greek cucumber salad couldn't be any easier. That is why this is one of my favorite salad recipes. Here is what it looks like:
- Quarter tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Add to a large bowl.
- Now drizzle olive oil oveer the top and a sprinkle of salt.
- Crumble some feta over it all and gently toss.
That is it. The ingredients and steps are so simple but the flavor is amazing!
Pro-Tips For Making This Greek Cucumber Salad
- You can make this salad ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to serve. I have great success making this up to 2 days in advance.
- Buy block feta instead of already crumbled feta. The crumbled feta is dried out already and never as good.
- Make sure you are using very ripe tomatoes. This is a fresh salad so your tomatoes need to be fully ripe and juicy.
Add-ins and Variations
This Greek salad is very simple and perfect the way it is but you can certainly add your own touches to this salad. I love adding capers if I have them to add a bit of briny flavor ti the salad.
Another thing I often enjoy is to just cut the fresh feta into triangles and serve it on top of the tomatoes and cucumbers. This way you can control how much feta you get in each bite. It is also more traditional to do this.
Some more add in ideas:
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- A bit of fresh oregano.
- Greek olives.
- Sliced red onion.
- Some toasted up bread to make a panzanella style salad.
To prevent your Greek salad from getting mushy, you can omit or reduce the amount of salt that you add to the salad. Salt draws out moisture from the vegetables. Another way to ensure your salad stays crisp is to remove some of the tomato seeds from the tomatoes. This helps reduce the amount of liquid in the salad.
Greek salad is traditionally made with cucumbers, tomatoes and feta. Additional ingredients like peppers, onions and olives can often be served with Greek salad.
Need More Salad Inspiration? Here You Go!
- Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- Ricotta, Tomato and Pistachio Salad
- Chopped Kale Salad
- Kale, Carrot and Parmesan Salad
- Pinto Bean Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Warm Radicchio and Arugula Salad
- Crunchy Asian Salad
- Asian Chicken Salad
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Halloumi Salad
- Chickpea Salad with Creamy Sriracha Dressing
Greek Cucumber Salad
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 4 medium to large tomatoes cut into quarters then quarters cut in half
- 1 seedless cucumber cut half then into quarters
- ½ cup feta crumbled
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Fresh dill finely chopped. Optional
- Prepare your tomatoes and cucumbers by cutting them up into large cubes. It doesn't need to be perfect.4 medium to large tomatoes, 1 seedless cucumber
- Add this to a medium bowl.
- Next add your feta, salt, pepper, olive oil and fresh dill if using and mix well.½ cup feta, 3 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon Fresh dill
- Serve Immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
We made this Greek cucumber salad for a cook out and everyone loved it! Very easy and delicious
Hi Andy. I am so glad you enjoyed it!
So fresh and it made the perfect side dish for our burgers 🙂