Curry chicken salad is our family’s favorite way to eat chicken salad! This chicken salad recipe is loaded with curry powder, grapes and almonds to ensure there is nothing boring about this dish. It makes the best meal prep item for weekday lunches.
This curry chicken salad is super easy to make, great for meal prep and perfect for repurposing any leftover chicken you may have laying around from a previous meal. It is served in lettuce cups for this recipe but it can easily be made into a curry chicken salad sandwich.
The ingredients you will need to make this curry chicken salad are:
- Shredded chicken. You can use store bought rotisserie chicken or shred up cooked chicken breasts.
- Mayonnaise (or greek yogurt if you want to lighten it up)
- Curry powder
- Red grapes
- Slivered almonds
- salt and pepper
- Bibb lettuce (or bread if you are making a curry chicken salad sandwich)
As I mentioned earlier, this makes a wonderful meal prep idea or make ahead dish. I love making a big batch of this on the weekend to have for lunch during the week. I just switch things up each day and eat it over salad, then in a sandwich and then as a side with crackers.
You can make your life easier and buy rotisserie chicken if you are pressed for time and don’t want to cook chicken breasts. I use rotisserie chicken for many of my recipes because it is a real time saver!
The flavors in this chicken salad only improve over time so go ahead and make a bunch.
My entire family loves this dish and all the flavor that comes from the curry, grapes and almonds added in. It really elevates a traditional chicken salad recipe.
This recipe is certainly going to be your new go to chicken salad recipe once you try it!
Chicken Curry Salad
- 2 cooked (and cooled) chicken breasts shredded
- 3/4 cup mayonaise more if you like your salad extra creamy. You can substitute Greek Yogurt to make the dish lighter.
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 cup red grapes halved cleaned. any grapes will do
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds lightly toasted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package of bibb or butter lettuce cleaned and dried carefully or you can use bread or crackers
- Shred your cooled chicken into small bite sized pieces.
- If you are not starting with cooked chicken breasts, place 2 chicken breasts in a 375 degree oven drizzled with a little salt, pepper and olive oil and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Shred your chicken into small pieces and add to a large bowl
- Now cut your grapes in half lengthwise and add those in
- If your almonds are not toasted already, add them to a small pan over medium heat and lightly toast them (wait until they turn a light brown) stirring often. Let cool
- Add your toasted almonds to your bowl with the chicken and grapes
- add all of your spices and mayonnaise to the bowl and mix well making sure all of your spices are mixed in evenly
- taste for seasoning and add additional salt or curry powder if needed
- prepare your lettuce cups by carefully pulling the lettuce leaves away from the core one at a time making a nice neat stack.
- add a good heaping spoonful of your curry chicken to each piece of lettuce
- place your filled lettuce cups on a large plate and serve immediately