These delicious apple pie scones have a delicious layer of apple pie filling and streusel topping over a delicious scone base. They are made in a scone pan to make it easy and they're perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a snack.
Why You Will Love These Apple Scones
In our family, we are huge fans of apple pie (if you've tried our apple pie oatmeal then you know this) and huge fans of scones. It seemed only natural to combine the two into this delicious recipe. If you like both of these too, these apple pie scones are the perfect scones for you. Here is why I love them so much:
- Layers of flavor: These apple scones have two delicious flavors on top of a buttery scone base. The first layer is an apple pie filling with cinnamon, sugar, and apples. The second layer is a delicious streusel topping.
- Not too sweet: These scones are not overly sweet and are the perfect apple dessert (or breakfast) during apple season. I am not a fan of overly sweet baked goods and these scones are just the right amount of sweetness.
- Perfect make-ahead scone: These apple scones are the perfect make-ahead treat. The top layers of the scone keep the scones moist so bake up a batch ahead of time for your friends and family.
- Easy scone pan recipe: By using a scone pan, making these scones is so easy. It is just piling all of the ingredients into the pan.
If you do not have a scone pan, I have included steps below for making these. I think everyone needs to make these apple scones because they are that good!
How to make apple pie scones
- Prep apples: First, you want to cut your apples into small diced pieces.
- Make apple pie filling: The next step is to cook your apples with butter, sugar, and cinnamon on the stovetop. You need to precook the apples before adding them to the tops of the scones.
- Make the scone dough: This is just mixing the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Then you cut the butter into the dry ingredients and mix it all together to form a dough.
- Make streusel topping: This is the flour, butter, and sugar mixture along with some cinnamon.
- Place scone dough in scone pan: Add the scone dough to the scone pan.
- Top with apples: Top the dough with apples.
- Add streusel topping: Now add the streusel.
- Bake: Bake up those scones until golden brown on top.
More Apple Recipes
If you love these apple scones, you may also like these:
For more scone recipes
Apple Pie Scones
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sour cream or heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter cold. Shredded on the coarse side of a cheese grater. You can also cut your butter into ½ inch pieces.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 granny smith apples peeled and diced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter cold
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup All purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt optional but very good in the streusel topping.
Prepare Apple Topping
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add all the ingredients for the apple topping and cook until the sugar has dissolved and the apples start to soften, about 5-10 minutes.2 granny smith apples, ¼ cup sugar, 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- Once the apple topping is ready remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Prepare Streusel Topping
- Grate your butter into a medium bowl.4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Now add your flour, sugar and salt to the bowl and mix well with a fork until the shredded butter is well distributed into the dry ingredients.¼ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cup All purpose flour
- Place your bowl in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble your scones.
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl add your flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt
- Shred your cold butter on course side of your cheese grater.12 tablespoons unsalted butter cold.
- Add this to your bowl of dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry cutter (two forks or a food processor), cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter becomes the size of peas.
- Once you have added your cold butter to the dry ingredients, place your bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Now in a medium bowl combine wet ingredients (your egg, vanilla, and sour cream) and mix well½ cup sour cream, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Remove your bowl of dry ingredients from the freezer and stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. If the dough does not stay together when pressed, then add a tablespoon of milk at a time until it does.
- Now take your dough and turn it out on to a lightly floured surface. Pull it all together into a ball. It will be shaggy.
- Gently knead 3-4 times then pat it into a square shape about ½ inch thick. Now take one side of your square and fold it in towards the middle (like folding a business letter.) Do the same with the other side of your square so that both sides of your square have been folded in to the center.
If using a scone pan
- After 5-10 minutes, if you have a scone pan, grease the pan with some butter.
- Gently roll out your dough and divide the dough equally into the slots of your scone pan. Gently press the dough into place.
If you are not using a scone pan
- If you do not have a scone pan, then grease a baking sheet or add parchment paper to the pan. Turn out your dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently form into a ball and pat down (with a rolling pin, not your hands) until it looks more like a disc and not a round ball.
- Transfer the disc to a baking sheet. After adding the toppings below, cut into 6 triangles and gently slide the triangles away from each other so they bake evenly.
Apple Topping Assembling
- With a slotted spoon, scoop about a tablespoon of your apple topping and place a thin layer of it on top of your scones making sure not to add the liquid from the cooking. Leave a little bit of the scone exposed on the edges since the topping will spread during baking.
Streusel Topping Assembling
- With a spoon, evenly sprinkle your streusel topping over your apple layer. Leave a little bit of the scone exposed on the edges since the topping will spread during baking.
- You make have to carefully press some of the streusel in place if it rolls off.
- Do this until all the streusel is used up.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until they just start to get golden on top and bottom.
- When done, let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. The scone streusel topping will firm up when cooling.
- Serve with coffee, tea or with some sweet butter on the side.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!