This hot apple cider with warm Fall spices will warm you up on even the coldest days. This mulled apple cider is so easy to make and the mulling spices ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. You will want to cozy up to this warm drink anytime the temperature drops!
This recipe for hot apple cider is what I learned to make when I lived in New England and it is a favorite recipe we continue to make today.
This easy warm apple drink is a symbol of all the flavors of fall. It is full of warm fall spices like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and is so comforting.
Much like my apple cider martini, spiced pear martini, pumpkin creme brulee, eggnog, or pumpkin cake, it has all the delicious warm Fall spices I love. When it is just me and I want another Fall treat to go with this, I make my mini pumpkin custards 🙂
Enjoy this cider anyone you like!
Mulled Apple Cider Ingredients
- Apple Cider: Apple cider is different than apple juice. Make sure to look for cider.
Mulling Spice Recipe
- cinnamon sticks. You cannot have this mulled cider without cinnamon.
- whole cloves. This adds such warmth to the mulled cider.
- orange peel. I like this in mulled cider. You can leave it out if you do not.
- star anise. Not only is it pretty but this spice adds such a warming Fall note.
- and any of your favorite Fall spices! Make this your own by adding in your favorite Fall spices.
How to make mulled apple cider
Making this is so easy. It is just adding things into a pot. Here are the steps.
- Buying your cold apple cider
The steps to making this are so easy. You are going to start out with store-bought apple cider (not apple juice).
You will start to see apple cider in your grocery stores around the start of the Fall season. If you have extra cider leftover from this recipe, you can make apple cider oatmeal with it so there is no waste!
- Warming apple cider
Next, you are going to pour your cider into a large pot over the stove. You can use your slow cooker as well.
- Adding mulling spices to your cider
Here you are going to add your Fall spices to the pot. You will want to use whole spices and not powdered.
This is the flavor in your mulled apple cider. After you add those spices you just cook it on low over your stovetop for about an hour and that is it!
An added bonus is your home is that the apple and cinnamon scent fills your home with its beautiful aroma. Once the temps drop, this is the drink you need to make!
These are my favorite spices that are in the mulled cider recipe but you can definitely adjust this to suit your preference. This is your drink!
You can make your own version of this mulling spice recipe by adding or taking away some of the ingredients.
Mulled cider in the slow cooker
You can make this in the slow cooker and it comes out great. Just set your slow cooker to low and let it cook for 1-2 hours. Make sure to check it periodically to be sure it is not evaporating too much.
Can I use powdered spices if I do not have whole spices?
No. You want to be able to serve this drink without any bits in it. By using whole spices you can remove them before serving or at least scoop some cider without it getting into your drink.
Whether you enjoy the mulled cider as is or as apple cider with rum, it will be a hit at any time. Just follow the steps below in the recipe and you will be on your way to a delicious Fall drink that you will want to make year after year.
Make a day of Fall fun with this warm mulled apple cider and bake up some spiced cardamom shortbread, pumpkin cake, pear frangipane tart, fruit and nut cookies, or Fall shortbread cookies to add to the Fall theme.
More like this
If you love this mulled cider recipe, you may also like these:
More Fall Recipes
Mulled Apple Cider (Easy Recipe)
- 1 gallon store bought apple cider not apple juice. You can usually find apple cider in the produce section of your grocery store in the Fall.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoon whole cloves or to taste
- 1 orange peeled I just peel an orange and eat the inside and use the peel. Just make sure you use the peel right away while the oils in the orange skin are still fresh.
- 1 star anise whole you can substitute all spice berries for this
- 1 piece of cheese cloth You can omit this but just make sure to skim the spices out at the end before serving
- In a large stock pot add all of your apple cider and turn the heat to medium.1 gallon store bought apple cider
- Take your cheesecloth if using and wrap all of your spices (except orange peels) in it and tie it closed with some kitchen twine. If you do not have these things then just make sure you skim the spices out of the cider at the end of mulling.2 cinnamon sticks, 2 tablespoon whole cloves, 1 star anise whole, 1 piece of cheese cloth
- Now add your spices and orange peel to your pot of cider1 orange peeled
- Once your cider starts to show steam coming off the top, turn heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to keep it on the stove for a few hours to scent up the house but you will loose some of the cider with evaporation.
- Once your cider has been cooking for 30 minutes or so, ladle out into mugs, and enjoy.
Mulled cider in the slow cookerYou can make this mulled apple cider in the slow cooker and it comes out great. Just set your slow cooker to low and let it cook for 1-2 hours. Make sure to check it periodically to be sure it is not evaporating too much. Alcohol that goes with mulled cider If you are looking to make a mulled cider with alcohol all you need to do is add the alcohol to the cider at the time of serving. Here are some suggestions below.
- Add rum for an apple cider with rum cocktail (1 shot of rum for 8 ounces of cider)
- Whiskey or bourbon goes really well for an apple bourbon cocktail (1 shot of Bourbon or Whiskey for 8 ounces of cider)
- A favorite of mine would be to add alcoholic ginger beer to my mulled cider. I do half mulled cider (cooled) to half ginger beer. The flavors are amazing!
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!