This easy to make Fall mulled apple cider will warm you up on even the coldest days. You will want to cozy up to this easy to make drink and even make a day of Fall fun with baking up some warm spiced cardamom shortbread to add to the Fall theme.
Hot mulled apple cider is a symbol of all the flavors of fall. It is a warm drink that is full of warm fall spices and it is so simple to make.
What do I need to do to make this Mulled Apple Cider:
The steps to making this hot mulled cider are so easy. You are going to start out with store bought apple cider (not apple juice). You will start to see apple cider in your grocery stores around the start of the Fall season. I usually find the cider in the produce area of my grocery store.
Next, you are going to pour your cider into a large pot over the stove. You can use your slow cooker as well.
You add your Fall spices to the pot. Here you will want to use whole spices and not powdered.
You cook your spices and cider low and slow for at least a few hours and that is it!
An added bonus to making this hot mulled cider in your home is that the apple and cinnamon scent fills your home with it’s beautiful aroma. Once the temps drop, this is the drink you need to make!
What are the spices I need for this hot apple cider?
- cinnamon sticks
- whole cloves
- orange peel
- star anise
- and any of your favorite Fall spices!
These are my favorite spices that are in the recipe but you can definitely add or take away based on your preference. This is your drink! You can make it your way.
Some alcohol additions to your mulled cider to make the best apple cider cocktails:
- Add rum for an apple cider with rum cocktail (1 shot of rum for 8 ounces of cider)
- Whiskey or bourbon goes really well for an apple bourbon cocktail (1 shot of Bourbon or Whiskey for 8 ounces of cider)
- A favorite of mine would be to add alcoholic ginger beer to my mulled cider. I do half mulled cider (cooled) to half ginger beer. The flavors are amazing!
Whether you enjoy the mulled cider as is or as apple cider with rum, it will be a hit at anytime. Just follow the steps below in the recipe and you will be on your way to a delicious Fall drink that you will want to make year after year.
Warm Mulled Apple Cider
- 1 gallon store bought apple cider not apple juice. You can usually find apple cider in the produce section of your grocery store in the Fall.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp clove or to taste
- 1 orange peel I just peel an orange and eat the inside and use the peel. Just make sure you use the peel right away while the oils in the orange skin are still fresh.
- 1 star anise you can substitute all spice berries for this
- 1 piece of cheese cloth You can omit this but just make sure to skim the spices out at the end before serving
- In a large stock pot add all of your apple cider and turnt he heat to medium
- take your cheesecloth if using and wrap all of your spices (except orange peels) in it and tie it closed with some kitchen twine. If you do not have these things then just make sure you skim the spices out of the cider at the end of mulling.
- Now add your spices and orange peel to your pot of cider
- Once your cider starts to show steam coming off the top, turn heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to keep it on the stove for a few hours to scent up the house but you will loose some of the cider with evaporation.
- Once your cider has been cooking for 30 minutes or so, ladle out into mugs and enjoy.
You May Also Like