This easy to make hot mulled apple cider will warm you up on even the coldest days. You will want to cozy up to this easy to make drink and even make a day of Fall fun with baking up some warm spiced cardamom shortbread to add to the Fall theme.
What is Mulled Cider?
Mulled cider is a drink made warming spices with a liquid over a period of time. You can make many types of mulled drinks.
This recipe is a mulled apple cider which is what I learned to make when I lived in New England and the recipe we continue to make today.
Hot mulled apple cider is a symbol of all the flavors of fall. It is a warm drink that is full of warm fall spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. It is so simple to make and so comforting.
What you need to do to make this Mulled Apple Cider:
Buying your cold apple cider:
The steps to making this hot mulled cider are so easy. You are going to start out with store bought apple cider (not apple juice). You will start to see apple cider in your grocery stores around the start of the Fall season. I usually find the cider in the produce area of my grocery store.
Warm your apple cider:
Next, you are going to pour your cider into a large pot over the stove. You can use your slow cooker as well.
Adding your mulling spices to your cider:
Here you are going to add your Fall spices to the pot. Here you will want to use whole spices and not powdered.
This is the flavor in your hot cider. After you add those spices you just cook it on low over your stove top for a few hours and that is it!
An added bonus to making this hot mulled cider in your home is that the apple and cinnamon scent fills your home with it's beautiful aroma. Once the temps drop, this is the drink you need to make!
The mulling spices you need for this hot apple cider:
- cinnamon sticks
- whole cloves
- orange peel
- star anise
- and any of your favorite Fall spices!
These are my favorite spices that are in the recipe but you can definitely add or take away based on your preference. This is your drink! You can make it your way.
Some alcohol additions to your mulled cider to make the best apple cider cocktails:
- Add rum for an apple cider with rum cocktail (1 shot of rum for 8 ounces of cider)
- Whiskey or bourbon goes really well for an apple bourbon cocktail (1 shot of Bourbon or Whiskey for 8 ounces of cider)
- A favorite of mine would be to add alcoholic ginger beer to my mulled cider. I do half mulled cider (cooled) to half ginger beer. The flavors are amazing!
Tips for making this hot mulled cider:
Can you make this mulled cider in the slow cooker?
Yes. I have made it both ways and both ways come out great. Just set your slow cooker to low and let it cook for 1-2 hours. Make sure to check it periodically to be sure it is not evaporating too much.
Can I use powdered spices if I do not have whole one?
No. You want to be able to serve this drink without any bits in it. By using whole spices you can remove them before serving or at least scoop of some cider without it getting in to your drink.
Whether you enjoy the mulled cider as is or as apple cider with rum, it will be a hit at anytime. Just follow the steps below in the recipe and you will be on your way to a delicious Fall drink that you will want to make year after year.
Hot Mulled Apple Cider
- 1 gallon store bought apple cider not apple juice. You can usually find apple cider in the produce section of your grocery store in the Fall.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp whole cloves or to taste
- 1 orange peeled I just peel an orange and eat the inside and use the peel. Just make sure you use the peel right away while the oils in the orange skin are still fresh.
- 1 star anise whole you can substitute all spice berries for this
- 1 piece of cheese cloth You can omit this but just make sure to skim the spices out at the end before serving
- In a large stock pot add all of your apple cider and turnt he heat to medium
- take your cheesecloth if using and wrap all of your spices (except orange peels) in it and tie it closed with some kitchen twine. If you do not have these things then just make sure you skim the spices out of the cider at the end of mulling.
- Now add your spices and orange peel to your pot of cider
- Once your cider starts to show steam coming off the top, turn heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to keep it on the stove for a few hours to scent up the house but you will loose some of the cider with evaporation.
- Once your cider has been cooking for 30 minutes or so, ladle out into mugs and enjoy.
You May Also Like