This easy to make hot mulled apple cider will warm you up on even the coldest days. This mulled apple cider recipe is so easy to make and the mulling spice recipe you probably already have in your pantry. You will want to cozy up to this easy to make warm apple drink anytime the temperature drops!
About this recipe
Mulled apple cider is a drink made by warming spices with apple cider over a short period of time. You can make many types of mulled drinks.
This recipe for hot apple cider, which is what I learned to make when I lived in New England is my favorite and the recipe we continue to make today.
Hot mulled apple cider is a symbol of all the flavors of fall. It is a warm drink that is full of warm fall spices like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. It is so simple to make and so comforting.
How to make Mulled Apple Cider
Buying your cold apple cider
The steps to making this hot mulled cider are so easy. You are going to start out with store bought apple cider (not apple juice).
You will start to see apple cider in your grocery stores around the start of the Fall season. I usually find the cider in the produce area of my grocery store.
Warming apple cider
Next, you are going to pour your cider into a large pot over the stove. You can use your slow cooker as well.
Adding mulling spices to your cider
Here you are going to add your Fall spices to the pot. You will want to use whole spices and not powdered.
This is the flavor in your mulled apple cider. After you add those spices you just cook it on low over your stove top for about an hour and that is it!
An added bonus to making this hot mulled apple cider in your home is that the apple and cinnamon scent fills your home with it's beautiful aroma. Once the temps drop, this is the drink you need to make!
Mulling Spice Recipe
- cinnamon sticks
- whole cloves
- orange peel
- star anise
- and any of your favorite Fall spices!
These are my favorite spices that are in the mulled cider recipe but you can definitely adjust this to suit your preference. This is your drink!
You can make your own version of this mulling spice recipe by adding or taking away some of the ingredients.
Alcohol that goes with mulled cider
If you are looking to make a mulled cider with alcohol all you need to do is add the alcohol to the cider at the time of serving. Here are some suggestions below.
- Add rum for an apple cider with rum cocktail (1 shot of rum for 8 ounces of cider)
- Whiskey or bourbon goes really well for an apple bourbon cocktail (1 shot of Bourbon or Whiskey for 8 ounces of cider)
- A favorite of mine would be to add alcoholic ginger beer to my mulled cider. I do half mulled cider (cooled) to half ginger beer. The flavors are amazing!
Tips for making this recipe
Mulled cider in the slow cooker
You can make this mulled apple cider in the slow cooker and it comes out great. Just set your slow cooker to low and let it cook for 1-2 hours. Make sure to check it periodically to be sure it is not evaporating too much.
Can I use powdered spices if I do not have whole spices?
No. You want to be able to serve this drink without any bits in it. By using whole spices you can remove them before serving or at least scoop some cider without it getting in to your drink.
Whether you enjoy the mulled cider as is or as apple cider with rum, it will be a hit at anytime. Just follow the steps below in the recipe and you will be on your way to a delicious Fall drink that you will want to make year after year.
Make a day of Fall fun with this warm apple cider and baking up some spiced cardamom shortbread or Fall shortbread cookies to add to the Fall theme.
More like this
If you love this mulled apple cider recipe, you may also like these:
Mulled Apple Cider
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 1 gallon store bought apple cider not apple juice. You can usually find apple cider in the produce section of your grocery store in the Fall.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoon whole cloves or to taste
- 1 orange peeled I just peel an orange and eat the inside and use the peel. Just make sure you use the peel right away while the oils in the orange skin are still fresh.
- 1 star anise whole you can substitute all spice berries for this
- 1 piece of cheese cloth You can omit this but just make sure to skim the spices out at the end before serving
- In a large stock pot add all of your apple cider and turn the heat to medium.1 gallon store bought apple cider
- Take your cheesecloth if using and wrap all of your spices (except orange peels) in it and tie it closed with some kitchen twine. If you do not have these things then just make sure you skim the spices out of the cider at the end of mulling.2 cinnamon sticks, 2 tablespoon whole cloves, 1 star anise whole, 1 piece of cheese cloth
- Now add your spices and orange peel to your pot of cider1 orange peeled
- Once your cider starts to show steam coming off the top, turn heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to keep it on the stove for a few hours to scent up the house but you will loose some of the cider with evaporation.
- Once your cider has been cooking for 30 minutes or so, ladle out into mugs, and enjoy.
Mulled cider in the slow cookerYou can make this mulled apple cider in the slow cooker and it comes out great. Just set your slow cooker to low and let it cook for 1-2 hours. Make sure to check it periodically to be sure it is not evaporating too much.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Everyone loved it!
So glad to hear that!
I was looking for a simple cider recipe and I had all of these ingredients. It was really good