I just made this triple berry shortbread tart and I have to say it just may be my favorite dessert! It is a mixture of shortbread and berry preserves which are definitely two of my favorite things.
I have made these in cookie form, bar form, tart pan form and it all comes out amazing. I definitely end up eating a lot of the raw dough in this one just to make sure it it tastes great and because it is so good.
These bars are made with a shortbread crust on the top and bottom and Triple berry preserves- super simple! You can use any berry preserves you can find in your store.
If you have time, I like making my own on the weekend. My recipe for mixed berry preserves uses frozen fruit and makes 2 (8 oz) jars worth so I have some for this dessert and some for PB&J during the week (a favorite around here).
You can use any flavor preserves to make this shortbread tart recipe. Some ideas that would be good are raspberry preserves for a raspberry shortbread tart, strawberry preserves for a strawberry shortbread tart… You get the point!
The ingredients for this one are real simple and you probably already have these items on hand.
Ingredients needed are:
- All Purpose Flour
- Sugar (brown and white but if you only have white sugar that is fine)
- Berry preserves (any variety/flavor)
- almonds (optional)
I love that this berry shortbread tart recipe doesn’t need a special crumb topping that is different from the crust making it less work for me! Using preserves also makes this a great recipe to have on hand since it works with so many things you already have in your pantry and refrigerator and it is insanely delicious.
This shortbread tart is usually made in a square or rectangular pan for bars but I thought I would jazz it up using a tart pan to give it those pretty crimped edges. You can really use either! You can make this for just your family or for a special occasion.
I also think a large scoop of vanilla or hazelnut ice cream would work well if you really want it to be decadent.
Anyway you eat it, it will be amazing! Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
Triple Berry Shortbread Tart (or bars)
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond very finely ground slivered almonds (optional). If you do not have almonds just substitute 1/2 cup of flour instead. If you are using the almonds, place in a ziploc bag and smash them with a rolling pin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz jar of triple berry preserves
- 1 tart pan or 9×11 or so pan
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray or butter a 9×11-inch pan or tart pan well so your shortbread comes out easy after baking.
- If you are using a tart pan, place the tart pan on top of another pan so butter doesn’t drip out on to your oven when baking.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, combine the butter sugar (brown and white) and beat until smooth.
- Next, add your vanilla and salt and mix that in.
- Now, add your smashed almonds and your flour into the butter mixture and mix on low-speed until the mixture starts to form a ball .
- Divide your dough in half and wrap up one half and place in the refrigerator until later. Press the other half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan to form the bottom crust.
- Bake the crust until it is just beginning to turn light brown, around 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Place your preserves over on your shortbread crust and spread evenly.
- Now, take your reserved half of the shortbread out of the refrigerator and crumble the dough over the preserves to make your crumbled topping, being careful to not have really large pieces.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for another 30 minutes or so until the crisp turns golden in color. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, your can slice up your tart (or bars if using a rectangular pan) and serve!
- Serve on its own or with ice cream.
You May Also Like