I just made a triple berry shortbread tart and let me tell you it is amazing (singing!) If there is a dessert I love almost more than anything it is shortbread. I can eat it in cookie form, bar form, raw form….. I definitely tasted a lot of the raw dough in this one just to make sure it it tasted great! I wonder if I should adjust the recipe for this? 🙂
These bars are made with shortbread crust on the top and bottom and Thornburg and Company’s Triple berry delight preserves! You can use what berry preserves you can find in your store. I love that this recipe doesn’t need a special crumb topping that is different from the crust making it less work for me! Using preserves also makes this a great recipe to have on hand since it works with so many things you already have in your pantry and refrigerator and it is insanely delicious. This dessert is usually made in a square or rectangular pan for bars but I thought I would jazz it up using a tart pan to give it those pretty crimped edges. You can really use either! You can make this for just your family or for a special occasion. I also think a large scoop of vanilla or hazelnut ice cream would work well if you really want it to be decadent..
Anyway you do it it is amazing! Give it a try and let me know how you like it!
Triple Berry Shortbread Tart (or bars)
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond very finely ground slivered almonds I place mine in a ziploc bag and smash them with a rolling pin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 10 oz jar of triple berry preserves
- 1 tart pan or 9×11 or so pan
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray or butter a 9×11-inch pan or tart pan well so your shortbread comes out easy after baking.
- If you are using a tart pan, place the tart pan on top of another pan so butter doesn’t drip out on to your oven when baking.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, combine the butter sugar (brown and white) and beat until smooth.
- Next, add your vanilla and salt and mix that in.
- Now, add your smashed almonds and your flour into the butter mixture and mix on low-speed until the mixture starts to form a ball .
- Divide your dough in half and wrap up one half and place in the refrigerator until later. Press the other half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan to form the bottom crust.
- Bake the crust until it is just beginning to turn light brown, around 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Place your preserves over on your shortbread crust and spread evenly.
- Now, take your reserved half of the shortbread out of the refrigerator and crumble the dough over the preserves to make your crumbled topping, being careful to not have really large pieces.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for another 30 minutes or so until the crisp turns golden in color. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, your can slice up your tart (or bars if using a rectangular pan) and serve!
- Serve on its own or with ice cream.
You May Also Like