These cardamom shortbread cookies are a delicious twist on the traditional shortbread. The addition of cardamom enhances the richness of the shortbread without taking over the flavor which lets you still taste the buttery and rich shortbread flavor. The Dark chocolate and coconut is an additional (optional) step that complements this shortbread and dresses it up for special occasions.
Cardamom pods can sometimes be a little tricky to find but if you do find them, they are great with so many things like Indian rice, cakes, puddings, etc.
If you cannot find the pods, substitute dried cardamom from the spice section of your local grocery store. This cookie recipe is great for special occasions or anytime you want a cookie where you want to make shapes (like I did below with a heart cookie cutter for Valentines Day). I like a mix of styles so some I dipped in chocolate and coconut and some a did a little cut out in the center.
However you decide to decorate your cookies, they will be amazing!
Cardamom Shortbread Cookies with Dark Chocolate and Coconut
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup (1 sticunsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 5 cardamom pods broken open and black seeds crushed finely
- 1/2 cup of toasted unsweetened shredded coconut To toast: place coconut on baking sheet for 5 minutes on 350 degrees and cook until lightly browned
- 1/2 cup of good dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk together flour and salt in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer, add butter, cardamom and sugar and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low and gradually add in flour mixture, mixing until the dough just comes together.
- Transfer dough to a clean surface, divide in half and and form into two balls. Wrap dough balls in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut out cookie:
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll each dough ball out to a ¼-inch thickness. Use your cookie cutter to cut cookies. Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake cookies for 8 -10 minutes, until just browned around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- After your cookies have cooled place your coconut in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Lay out a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper for the cookies to go on after they are decorated.
- Now add your chocolate in a large ramekin and place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix and add another 10 seconds at a time until it is melted all the way through.
- Now with a spoon (holding your cookie over the ramekin holding the melted chocolate), pour chocolate over 1/2 of your cookie and then dip the chocolate half into your coconut and then place your cookie on the wax paper to dry. Do this until all of your cookies have been coated.
- Let the cookies sit for about 30 minutes to an hour until the chocolate is fully dry.
- The cookies can be refrigerated for up to 3 days before eaten.
You May Also Like