Mediterranean food is known for its fresh and flavorful ingredients. One of the dishes that really captures the essence of the Mediterranean for me is this Mediterranean bean salad. This easy and healthy cannellini bean salad combines cannellini beans with tomatoes, onions, and a fresh Italian dressing to create a vibrant and satisfying meal or side dish. Whether you're looking for a light lunch or side dish, this bean salad is the perfect recipe.
I have been making this Mediterranean bean salad for as long as I can remember. It is my favorite bean salad to make for a quick lunch that will keep me full and satisfied all day long.
If you have had my pesto pasta, this meal is similar to that one in that it makes a great nutritious and simple meal that will keep your energy up all day. Both are great meals to take to work or school or to an outing during the warmer months.
This cannellini beans salad will win you over when you see how easy and delicious it is.
Ingredients for Mediterranean Bean Salad
- Cannellini beans. This recipe uses canned beans. You could also make your own cannellini beans from dried.
- Tomatoes. The fresher, the better!
- Red Onion. You could use shallots for a milder onion flavor in this Mediterranean bean salad recipe.
- Olive oil. Either extra virgin or regular olive oil work great.
- Garlic. Make sure to only use fresh garlic.
- Lemon. Bottles or fresh will work.
- Kosher salt and pepper.
This Italian bean salad is so easy and only needs a few ingredients. Despite how easy it is to make, it has so much flavor.
Health Benefits of Mediterranean Bean Salad
This Mediterranean bean salad has high nutritional value due to the tomatoes, onions and beans. The beans are a good source of protein and the olive oil has lots of good fats.
You can feel good about eating this cannellini bean salad.
How to Make Mediterranean Bean Salad
- Prepare the beans: Rinse your cannellini beans under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Prepare the veggies: in a large bowl, add the beans along with the rest of your salad ingredients: sliced red onion and tomatoes.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together freshly squeezed lemon juice with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix it all together: Mix together the beans, veggies and dressing in a large bowl.
Your Mediterranean bean salad is now ready! Serve chilled, eat right away or store it in a covered container in the fridge for up to one week.
Serving Suggestions For This Cannellini Bean Salad
I really love making this Mediterranean bean salad as a make ahead lunch for myself during the week. It stores so well in the fridge and the longer it sits, the better it tastes!
This cannellini bean salad also makes a great side dish to so many meals. Here are some of our favorites:
This Mediterranean bean salad is super simple and perfect just the way it is. If I have time or if I have lots of veggies in my garden, I do love adding in some more ingredients. Here are some additions you can add to this bean salad:
- Kalamata olives.
- Feta cheese.
- Bell peppers.
- Italian parsley.
- Different beans.
These are some of my favorites but you could certainly add your favorite veggies too.
This Mediterranean bean salad recipe is a great option for anyone looking to add more healthy and flavorful meals to their diet. This cannellini bean recipe is highly customizable and you can swap out any beans or veggies you don't like or add in some grilled chicken for more protein.
More like this
If you love this Mediterranean bean salad, you may also like these:
Mediterranean Bean Salad
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 30 ounces Canned cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Tomatoes quartered
- ½ cup Red onion thin sliced
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1 Lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
Making the bean salad
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.30 ounces Canned cannellini beans, 1 cup Tomatoes, ½ cup Red onion, ¼ cup Olive oil, 1 Lemon, ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon Garlic, ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- Toss together gently then set aside on the counter for about 10 minutes.
- Serve right away or store in a container with lid in the fridge for up to one week.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Made this for make ahead lunch and it was great!
I am so glad you enjoyed it!