This vanilla bread pudding sauce is a condensed milk sauce that is so delicious and the perfect easy bread pudding sauce. It takes only 5 minutes to make and just a few items to make this wonderfully creamy and delicious vanilla dessert sauce. It is amazing on other desserts like, cheesecake, pancakes, as a dip or anything else that goes well with a dessert sauce.
About this simple bread pudding sauce
I have gotten so much great feedback about this easy vanilla sauce for bread pudding that came from my Bread Pudding recipe that I decided to make a post for it on its own. It is really that good!
This easy vanilla sauce for bread pudding is actually a condensed milk sauce and it is so decadent and delicious.
There are only four ingredients that you will need to make this simple vanilla sauce. You probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
This vanilla bread pudding sauce has no eggs or heavy cream and none of the hassle that comes with making a traditional bread pudding sauce.
The bread pudding recipe that this condensed milk sauce comes from is just as easy as this simple dessert sauce. If you love bread pudding like I do, it is definitely worth checking out! It uses stale Italian bread and transforms it into a delicious and decadent bread pudding!
This vanilla sauce is great to use when you need a delicious dessert sauce for something that you are going to bake or when you need a quick dessert sauce that maybe you hadn't planned for but decided last minute you wanted one.
This easy vanilla sauce is not only fantastic on bread pudding, but it is also great on cheesecake, waffles, pancakes or used as a dip for fruit.
I can't tell you how many times I have pulled out the can of condensed milk from my pantry last minute to whip up this vanilla sauce for my desserts 🙂
Making this vanilla bread pudding sauce is so easy thanks to the fact that we are starting out with condensed milk. Here is what you will need (full recipe below):
- Sweetened condensed milk. This easy vanilla sauce is a condensed milk sauce so this is the main ingredient in this recipe. Trust me, it is GOOD!
- Vanilla extract. This is what makes it a vanilla sauce and extra special.
- Butter. You will only need a very little bit of this. The butter adds a bit of sheen and flavor. I prefer unsalted butter for this recipe. If you like a bit of salt in your sweets, go ahead and add a little.
- Milk. The milk in this easy sauce helps to thin the sauce out a bit so you can pour it over your bread pudding or any dessert or breakfast that you are making this for.
I told you this one is easy! The steps to making this vanilla condensed milk bread pudding sauce for bread pudding are as easy as adding the condensed milk, butter, vanilla, and milk into a small saucepan, gently heating them together and then pouring it over your favorite dessert.
This sauce actually has the taste of a more complex brown sugar bread pudding sauce but it is mainly condensed milk.
Anyone can make this vanilla sauce. It may be simple but this vanilla sauce will taste like it took a lot of time to make because it is that good.
How to make vanilla bread pudding sauce
Here are the steps to make this really simple vanilla sauce for bread pudding:
- Pour into a saucepan: Open a can of condensed milk and pour it into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat: Add your butter and stir until it is melted.
- Add Vanilla Extract: Add your vanilla extract and milk and mix well for one minute.
- Serve: Remove from the heat and serve this vanilla sauce warm over bread pudding or your favorite dessert.
The steps to make this vanilla sauce are all about stirring. No special skills are needed here.
This is why it is one of my favorite sauces. That and it tastes amazing.
Condensed milk is really delicious all on its own and in my opinion needs no additions to be a delicious stand-alone sauce. I have been known to just eat it with a spoon 🙂
The additional bread pudding sauce ingredients that you use merely add to the amazing condensed milk flavor.
Also, the condensed milk helps create a smoother and more pourable texture. This is what you want in a bread pudding sauce.
For me, the addition of the butter and milk also mimics traditional vanilla sauces that take more time to make. I like things that are easy and not complicated.
You could choose to make a more involved vanilla sauce for bread pudding but why if you can make something that is so easy like this vanilla sauce 🙂
How to make this vanilla sauce dairy-free
If you are looking to make this easy vanilla sauce dairy-free, you can absolutely substitute the condensed milk and milk in this recipe for non-dairy items. A favorite of mine (and I am not on a dairy-free diet) is coconut condensed milk.
Many readers have let me know they have made this bread pudding sauce recipe this way and really loved it. It is really simple and easily adaptable.
You may want to try this version even if you are not on a special dairy-free diet.
This easy dessert sauce is quick to make and so absolutely decadent and delicious. You can top just about any dessert with this condensed milk sauce from bread puddings to cinnamon rolls or ice cream.
It is so good that I have noticed many readers look for more ways to use this bread pudding sauce because they love it so much.
What our readers are saying about this easy vanilla sauce
I love this! Had left over pound cake, made bread pudding and poured this over! SO GOOD!
Loved it!!Dina from Pinterest
I made this, it was easy and delicious!Leomia from Pinterest
More Bread Pudding Flavors
If you want to add your own flavor twist to this condensed milk bread pudding sauce it is as simple as adding them to the recipe. Here are some suggestions from readers:
- For Bourbon Sauce: Whisk condensed milk and bourbon for a delicious condensed milk sauce. To do this just replace the milk in the recipe with bourbon (see notes below in the recipe).
- Anise sauce: You can add ⅛ teaspoon of anise extract to make anise condensed milk sauce.
- Almond sauce: Add ⅛ teaspoon of almond extract for almond-flavored condensed milk sauce.
- Cinnamon sauce: Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon for a cinnamon condensed milk sauce.
This vanilla condensed milk sauce is perfect on its own or you can customize this easy vanilla dessert sauce if you choose. For the bourbon bread pudding sauce, I have included more details on how to make this in the recipe below.
FAQS for this condensed milk bread pudding sauce
How to store condensed milk sauce
To store any extra sauce you have, just place it in a container or bowl with a lid once it has cooled and place it in your refrigerator for up to 1 week. I don't think most people have any leftovers after they first make it.
But, if you happen to have any leftover bread pudding sauce, this is how you would store it!
How to re-heat this vanilla bread pudding sauce
To reheat your vanilla bread pudding sauce, simply pour it into a medium saucepan over low heat and gently reheat the sauce until it is very warm. Remove immediately and serve.
This condensed milk sauce should be served warm so if you have leftover sauce and want to use it the day after you make it, make sure to reheat it.
This vanilla sauce for bread pudding is not just a fantastic bread pudding sauce but it goes great with many other desserts and sweets. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy this easy vanilla sauce:
- Pour it over pancakes or French toast! We love adding it to our ricotta pancakes and brioche French toast for a decadent sweet sauce.
- In the Fall, we love to serve this vanilla sauce drizzled over apple dumplings , easy Italian apple cake and our apple galette.
- Add it to ice cream. Our favorite are adding to vanilla ice cream and eggnog flavored ice cream
- Serve it alongside peach cobbler or any cobbler depending on the season.
- Or just serve it as a sweet dip.
- Drizzle it over classic Philadelphia cheesecake for a decadent treat.
There are so many ways to use this delicious and easy vanilla bread pudding sauce. I think this is the best sauce for bread pudding and I can't imagine going back to traditional recipes.
If you love really condensed milk then these other condensed milk recipes are for you:
- Italian Bread Pudding is a really easy bread pudding recipe that tastes even better with this condensed milk sauce poured over top. This recipe makes individual bread puddings so there is less work scooping out servings when it is time to eat!
- This baked french toast casserole is also made with condensed milk and is perfect as a dessert or as a special breakfast.
- Key Lime Tart
- Easy Lemon Bars
Once you make this simple vanilla sauce and see how easy and delicious this is you will be making this on repeat. It is that addictive and that amazing!
No, they are different. Condensed milk is sweetened and reduced to a thick consistency. Condensed milk is very sweet.
Evaporated milk is also a reduced milk meaning much of the water is evaporated out but it is unsweetened.
You could use condensed milk as is or add a few ingredients to make it into a delicious dessert sauce.
You certainly can! Heating condensed milk will thin it a bit and make for a great pourable sauce for desserts.
Freezing this type of sauce is not the best idea since the sauce can separate when frozen.
The best time to put sauce on bread pudding is right before serving.
Absolutely. This easy sauce is the perfect recipe for just that.
More Easy Dessert Ideas:
If you love this vanilla condensed milk bread pudding sauce, you may also like these:
Vanilla Sauce for Bread Pudding (Condensed Milk Sauce)
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- medium sauce pan
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon milk to lightly thin it out
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of butter to add shine and flavor
- Add all of your ingredients into a medium sauce pan over medium heat1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 2 tablespoon milk, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of butter
- Mix well and heat until it all comes together and it starts to look silky and smooth
- Remove from heat and use immediately
Cook the bourbon in the sauce for a few minutes on a very gentle simmer to reduce the alcohol a bit.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here