Italian bread pudding is a very simple and easy to make dessert which uses stale bread, golden raisins, eggs, sugar and milk. It is baked in the oven and often topped with a rich sauce.
This bread pudding has a really easy vanilla condensed milk sauce that will be your new go to dessert sauce.
Bread pudding is a dish that is made in almost every culture and Italians are no exception. Traditionally the idea behind bread pudding is to use the leftover stale bread and make sure nothing goes to waste.
I love this so much because I hate to throw out any food (unless it goes bad.)
Italian bread pudding is most often made with a creme anglaise type of sauce that is a little more involved and not exactly quick to make. For this recipe I have simplified the traditional sauce used for this bread pudding by using condensed milk to make it easier for the everyday cook.
I feel very confident in saying that it tastes better too!
If you do not have stale bread or cannot wait to make the recipe then store bought baguette from the bakery section (without any toppings or butter) can be used; just make sure to leave it out on the counter overnight to toughen up.
Just remember, the more preservatives that are in the bread, the longer it will take to get stale. Basically, all natural bread is not only better for you but better for your bread puddings!
Italian bread pudding is really not too different from American bread pudding. It requires the same basic ingredients to soften up stale bread and transform it into something that tastes so amazing.
Ingredients you will need for this Italian Bread Pudding are:
- stale bread
- golden raisins (optional but recommended)
- For the sauce- condensed milk, butter, milk and vanilla
Many of these items can be substituted based on your preference. If you cannot find golden raisins, you can use regular purple raisins. If you need a dairy free alternative then you can sub out the regular milk for dairy free milk.
Even the sweetened condensed milk sauce can be adjusted by just using coconut condensed milk!
About the sauce for this bread pudding:
This sauce that I created for this recipe was born out of laziness and not wanting to make a traditional complex vanilla sauce. I have to say that in this instance, my laziness really paid off!
My quick vanilla sauce is made with sweetened condensed milk, a touch of butter, vanilla and milk.
It is one my favorite sauces for desserts and the uses are absolutely endless. You can add it to ice cream, cake, bread pudding or any other things you can think of needing a sweet decadent and lush sauce.
I love it even more because it is so easy to make. I just don’t think cooking should be complicated.
As I mentioned above, if you are on a dairy free diet, you can totally use a coconut condensed milk in place of the regular condensed milk. It is really delicious both ways!
What I love about this recipe (and think you’ll love too):
- It is so simple to make.
- It tastes amazing.
- That vanilla condensed milk sauce is addictive (make extra, trust me). If you want you can skip straight to the vanilla sauce recipe here!
- It is made in individual portion sizes so everyone can eat their portion when they want.
For More Italian Dessert Recipes:
- Italian Pizzelles are a classic cookie made at family gatherings and holidays. Growing up, these were made every Sunday for our Italian family gatherings.
- My cookie press Pizzelle cookies that are made with the same dough you make a pizzelle with but you do not need a special pizzelle maker for this one. So delicious!
- Italian basil olive cake. This is one of my favorite cakes to make and it is as easy as blending everything together and pouring into a pan.
What if I do not have individual ramekins?
This is a question I get asked often. If you do not have individual ramekins, you can combine this whole recipe for the four servings into a small square baking dish, about 8″x8″ or if you are using a round baking dish then a small round 6″x2″ dish.
Add five minutes of cooking time to the recipe and then test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into center and it comes out clean. If it is still wet just add another 5 minutes or so until it is cooked through.
I will say that ramekins are so invaluable in my kitchen. If you do not have ramekins I would definitely try to add those to your kitchen wishlist since they come in handy for some many things!
It is best served warm once it has rested for a few minutes after coming out of the oven.
Italian Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
- 4 ounces of stale bread a little less than 1/2 of a baguette, preferably a thin baguette cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp of butter and extra for greasing your ramekins
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 a can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small pot heat your milk and sugar until the milk gets hot and the sugar is dissolved.
- While your milk is heating, place your stale bread into a shallow dish. Now pour your hot milk mixture over this and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Now in a small bowl add your raisins and enough hot water to cover them and let those sit for 20 minutes.
- While your bread and raisins are soaking, butter 4 large ramekins (or 6 medium sized ramekins) and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar and spread it around so that it covers all of the butter. Set these aside.
- Once your bread is done soaking, pour it through a large sieve and with your hand gently press out some of the milk. Now place your bread into a large bowl.
- Drain your raisins and add those to your bowl. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk your egg and egg yolk and add that to your bowl and mix all of your ingredients together carefully as to not break up your bread too much.
- Now scoop out your bread mixture into your ramekins making sure they are all even and sit just below the rim.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, increase your oven temperature to 350 and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While your bread pudding is baking you can make the sauce.
- Vanilla Condensed Milk Sauce:
- With a small saute pan over medium heat add your sweetened condensed milk, 1 tbsp of milk, vanilla and butter and mix until it is heated through and becomes silky.
- Turn off heat and leave on the stove.
- Once the bread pudding is ready, remove from the oven and lest rest for 5 minutes.
- After resting, drizzle liberally with the vanilla glaze. Enjoy!
You May Also Like