This Italian bread pudding is a very simple and easy bread pudding recipe. This bread pudding uses stale bread, golden raisins, eggs, sugar, and milk and then it is baked in the oven and topped with a rich sweetened vanilla condensed milk sauce. It is great for entertaining and easy to make.
Why you will love this bread pudding with condensed milk sauce
- It is so simple to make.
- It tastes amazing.
- That vanilla condensed milk sauce is addictive (make extra, trust me). If you want, you can skip straight to the bread pudding sauce
- It is made in individual portion sizes so everyone can eat their portion when they want.
What is Italian Bread Pudding
Italian bread pudding is very similar to American bread pudding. It has golden raisins and uses stale bread and a simple custard to hold it all together.
One main difference with this Italian bread pudding recipe is there is no cinnamon added. It does however require the same basic ingredients to soften up stale bread and transform it into something that tastes so amazing.
This bread pudding recipe has a simple delicious condensed milk sauce that is poured over the top. It is no fuss and very easy to make while the bread pudding is baking.
I love this Italian dessert so much because I hate to throw out any food (unless it goes bad.) Getting to eat dessert and making sure I am not wasting food is a win-win here.
The Best Bread For This Bread pudding
This Italian bread pudding uses stale Italian baguette bread. If you do not have stale bread or cannot wait to make the recipe then a store-bought baguette from the bakery section (without any toppings or butter) can be used.
Just make sure to leave it out on the counter overnight to toughen up.
Remember, the more preservatives that are in the bread, the longer it will take to get stale. Basically, all-natural bread is not only better for you but better for your bread puddings!
Another important note about the type of stale bread to use is you want stale bread that is tough and not dry. If you have bread that dried out too much like a crouton then that would not taste as good.
Stale and chewy is the name of the game for bread pudding.
Italian Bread Pudding Ingredients
- Eggs. I use large eggs for this recipe.
- Stale bread. This is a must for any bread pudding recipe! This is an Italian bread pudding so you want to use stale Italian bread.
- Milk. You want to use whole milk.
- Butter. Unsalted butter is preferred or your bread pudding will taste too salty.
- Sugar. Regular granulated sugar.
- Golden raisins (optional but recommended)
- For the condensed milk vanilla sauce for the bread pudding- sweetened condensed milk, butter, milk and vanilla
- If you cannot find golden raisins, you can use regular purple raisins.
- You could also just leave out the raisins if you prefer.
- If you need a dairy-free alternative for the milk or condensed milk, then you can substitute dairy-free milk for the regular milk in the recipe.
More Condensed Milk Recipes
For More Italian Dessert Recipes:
- Italian Pizzelles are a classic cookie made at family gatherings and holidays. Growing up, these were made every Sunday for our Italian family gatherings.
- My cookie press Pizzelle cookies are made with the same dough you make a pizzelle with but you do not need a special pizzelle maker for this one. So delicious!
- Italian basil olive cake. This is one of my favorite cakes to make and it is as easy as blending everything together and pouring into a pan.
- Italian Berry Cake with Mascarpone Cream. This is a light wonderful layer cake that looks beautiful but is very easy to make.
- Italian Plum Tart. This is one of my favorites when plums are in season.
- Italian Pizzelle Cannoli are really delicious and simple cannoli made with rolled pizzelle and the most delicious cannoli cream.
- Italian apple cake. This cake is so simple and rustic and perfect any time of year.
- What if I do not have individual ramekins? If you do not have individual ramekins, you can combine this whole recipe for the four servings into a small square baking dish, about 8"x 8". If you are using a round baking dish then a small round 6"x2" dish.
- Should bread pudding be served hot or cold? You always want to serve your bread pudding almost right out of the oven. Just remove it from the oven and let it sit for a couple minutes before serving.
- Can I make my bread stale for this recipe if I do not have stale bread? You can speed up the process of bread going stale by placing your bread on a baking sheet and into a pre-heated 325-degree oven for about 5-10 minutes. Just check it every few minutes and make sure it is not turning into a crouton but just getting dried out a bit.
- Can bread pudding be made ahead of time? Yes, this bread pudding can be made ahead of time. Just follow the recipe all the way through baking, just let the bread pudding come to room temp after it is done cooking then refrigerate.
Italian Bread Pudding with Vanilla Sauce
- 4 ounces of stale bread a little less than ½ of a baguette, preferably a thin baguette cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- ½ cup of golden raisins
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter (unsalted) for greasing your ramekins
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of butter (unsalted)
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small pot heat your milk and sugar until the milk gets hot and the sugar is dissolved.1 ½ cups of milk, 1 cup of sugar
- While your milk is heating, place your stale bread into a shallow dish. Now pour your hot milk mixture over this and let sit for 20 minutes.4 ounces of stale bread
- Now in a small bowl add your raisins and enough hot water to cover them and let those sit for 20 minutes.½ cup of golden raisins
- While your bread and raisins are soaking, butter 4 large ramekins (or 6 medium sized ramekins) and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar and spread it around so that it covers all of the butter. Set these aside.1 tablespoon of butter (unsalted)
- Once your bread is done soaking, pour it through a large sieve and with your hand gently press out some of the milk. Now place your bread into a large bowl.
- Drain your raisins and add those to your bowl. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk your egg and egg yolk and add that to your bowl and mix all of your ingredients together carefully as to not break up your bread too much.1 egg, 1 egg yolk
- Now scoop out your bread mixture into your ramekins making sure they are all even and sit just below the rim.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, increase your oven temperature to 350 and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While your bread pudding is baking you can make the sauce.
- Vanilla Condensed Milk Sauce:
- With a small saute pan over medium heat add your sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon of milk, vanilla and butter and mix until it is heated through and becomes silky.7 ounces sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of butter (unsalted)
- Turn off heat and leave on the stove.
- Once the bread pudding is ready, remove from the oven and lest rest for 5 minutes.
- After resting, drizzle liberally with the vanilla glaze. Enjoy!
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!