Nellie and Joe's Key lime pie is traditional key lime pie recipe and the way this pie should be done. Key lime pie, Key lime tart or anything with Key limes is one of my favorite flavors! It may be because I grew up in Florida eating this all the time or maybe it is just because it is so delicious.
Nellie and Joe, the owners of Nellie and Joe's key lime juice, made a business out of juicing and bottling Key limes and it is a real life saver! Key limes are rather small so it takes a long time to juice those little Key limes to the amount that this recipe calls for.
In addition to offering a great product, Nellie and Joe's key lime pie recipe is the only one I use. In my opinion it is simply the best and a traditional key lime pie recipe.
Growing up in Florida, Key lime pie was something that was always available and every visit to a restaurant always ended in a beautifully sweet and tart slice of pie and a cup of coffee! I once went down to Key West with some friends of mine when I was in college and we spent an entire week sampling Key lime pie from every restaurant and food stand we could find.
To put that into perspective, there were so many places that sell Key lime pie that we ate 2-3 slices a day over the week. It was hard work 🙂
If you can't find Nellie and Joe's Key lime juice in the store, you can order it online. Trust me, the extra work ordering online will make this recipe really easy.
Sometimes we all want to try our hand at juicing our own Key limes; maybe you just bought a big bag in the store. This will work fine too. Just juice enough limes to reach the amount of Key lime juice that the recipe calls for below.
This recipe is for Key Lime pie or tart, depending on the type of pan you are using. Either way, the filling should not be too high in the pan because you want the right amount of crust and filling in each bite. I recommend that the filling not be thicker than about ¾ inch. I like using my graham cracker crust recipe that I use for my cheesecake bites. You just need to double the recipe to make a whole pie crust.
I hope you give this recipe a try!
Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Tart
- 1 9 inch graham cracker or similar crust My favorite recipe is the one I use for my cheesecake bites. Just make sure to double the recipe to make a full pie crust. Tip: this dessert does not go well with traditional pie crust. Graham cracker crust or a combination of graham cracker and nuts made into a crust is best.
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup Nellie and Joe's Key Lime juice or similar hint: you can also juice your own Key Limes just juice ½ cup
- Whipped cream for serving
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, add your sweetened condensed milk (making sure to scrape it all out of the can), Key lime juice and egg yolks and mix well until smooth
- Now, pour your mixture into your prepared pie or tart crust
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely
- Once cooled, refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight
- Serve with whipped cream and coffee (optional)
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here