Key lime pie, Key lime tart or anything with Key limes is one of my favorite flavors! Nellie and Joe made a business out of juicing and bottling Key limes and it is a real life saver! Key limes are rather small so it takes a long time to juice the actual limes to the amount that this recipe calls for. This is their recipe and the only one I use because IMHO it is the best.
Growing up in Florida, Key lime pie was something that was always available and every visit to a restaurant always ended in a beautifully sweet and tart slice of pie and a cup of coffee! I once went down to Key West with some friends of mine when I was in college and we spent an entire week sampling Key lime pie from every restaurant and stand we could find; there were so many that we ate 2-3 slices a day over the week. It was hard work 🙂
If you can’t find Nellie and Joe’s Key lime juice in the store, you can order it online. Trust me that it makes this really easy.
This recipe is for Key Lime pie or tart, depending on the type of pan you are using. Either way, the filling should not be too high in the pan because you want the right amount of crust and filling in each bite.
I hope you give this recipe a try!
Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Tart
- 1 9 inch graham cracker or similar crust Tip: this dessert does not go well with traditional pie crust. Graham cracker crust or a combination of graham cracker and nuts made into a crust is best.
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Nellie and Joe's Key Lime juice or similar hint: you can also juice your own Key Limes just juice 1/2 cup
- Whipped cream for serving
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, add your sweetened condensed milk (making sure to scrape it all out of the can), Key lime juice and egg yolks and mix well until smooth
- Now, pour your mixture into your prepared pie or tart crust
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely
- Once cooled, refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight
- Serve with whipped cream and coffee (optional)