Warm up with this flavorful and hearty soup recipe, packed with spicy sausage, black beans, and sweet potatoes. Perfect for a cozy night in!
Are you looking for a hearty and nutritious soup that will warm you up on chilly days? Look no further than black bean sweet potato soup!
This soup is one that I love making. If it is just myself and my daughter, we make it without the sausage. When my husband and son are around, we adapt it to the way they like it, with a spicy Italian sausage.
I don't mind because the other ingredients like sweet potato and black beans are so nutritious. It is packed with flavors, fiber, and essential nutrients, this soup is not only delicious but also incredibly healthy. It is all about balance 🙂
Let's dive into the details of this delicious soup.
Ingredients And Substitutions
- Canned black beans: This is one of the star ingredients and goes really well with the soup. If you do not have this, you can use white beans.
- Spicy Italian sausage: The sausage adds so much flavor! It takes this soup to a whole new level. If you want to leave it out that is fine. Try to add a little more onion and garlic if you do.
- Medium sweet potatoes: I like to specify medium-sized because if your local store is anything like mine, the sweet potatoes are getting very large 🙂
- Onion: Adds to the flavor of the soup. You want to make sure to use fresh onion and not dried.
- Garlic: Like the onion, it adds so much goodness to the broth. Use fresh garlic!
- Chicken stock or vegetable broth: This ingredient is easily changed up. Use what you have on hand.
- Diced tomatoes: The tomatoes add richness to the soup. You can omit this if you do not have it but do try to use it.
- Cumin powder: This spice makes the whole soup work. It adds a smoky flavor that is so delicious.
- Fresh cilantro: This really compliments the cumin so try not to leave it out.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for sautéing
Making This Black Bean And Sweet Potato Soup
Making this black bean and sweet potato soup is so simple. Like all of my other soup recipes, I say start with the aromatics (sauteeing the onion, garlic, and spices) then cook the meat, then the veggies, and then you add the broth.)
Tips For Making The Perfect Soup
We make lots of soup in our house because we love it so much. Here are some of my tried and true tips for making the best spicy sausage black bean and sweet potato soup.
- Start with the aromatics: When you cook the aromatics like the onion and garlic first, it releases the flavors better and when you add the stock (or broth) it adds so much flavor to it.
- Simmer for at least 15 minutes: It is no secret that soup tastes better the next day. Try to allow your soup to simmer for at least 15 minutes (but preferably 30 minutes if you can.)
- Make it ahead of time: Based on what I said above, go ahead and make the soup the day before. It will taste so much better the next day.
Serving And Storing Suggestions
You can enjoy black bean with sausage and sweet potato soup as a light meal on its own or pair it with some crusty bread like crostini for a more filling option. Here are a few more serving suggestions:
- Garnish the soup with freshly chopped cilantro, green onions, or even a dollop of sour cream.
- For an extra kick, add a squeeze of lime juice just before serving.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Add a dollop of avocado yogurt dip to the top.
- Swirl in cilantro lime sauce.
To store any leftover soup, allow it to cool completely then place it in a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
If you love this black bean and sweet potato soup, you might also like these:
Spicy Sausage Black Bean And Sweet Potato Soup
- 8 ounces Spicy Italian sausage casings removed
- 32 ounces Chicken stock
- 15 ounces Canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces Diced tomatoes
- 2 Medium sweet potatoes Diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Small Onion diced
- ¼ cup Fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- In a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add olive oil.1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until the onion softens.1 Small Onion, 3 cloves Garlic
- Add sausage and cook until lightly browned.8 ounces Spicy Italian sausage
- Add cumin and salt and mix well for one minute.1 teaspoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes and mix well.32 ounces Chicken stock, 8 ounces Diced tomatoes
- Add sweet potatoes and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.2 Medium sweet potatoes
- Add black beans and cilantro and stir.15 ounces Canned black beans, ¼ cup Fresh cilantro
- Test to see if the sweet potatoes are cooked through by piercing it with a fork.
- Taste for any additional seasoning like salt then serve.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!