Oven baked pizzelle cookies are the best! Looking for a recipe for pizzelles but do not have a pizzelle maker? Then this is for you!
The texture of these cookies will be soft instead of crispy like the traditional pizzelle but the flavor is identical. It really is a great alternative for anyone who does not have a pizzelle maker at home.
I experimented recently with making pizzelle cookies in the oven because I wanted to mail some pizzelles to family in another state and knew the delicate pizzelles would not make it in one piece. When thinking about what to do, I decided to try out baking cookies with the pizzelle dough and see how it came out. You know what, it was delicious! My family and I loved it!
These oven baked cookies are so delicious and moist! They actually remind me of the springerle cookie which is similar to the pizzelle recipe except baked in the oven! Both are cookies that use anise. These are the most delicious Italian Christmas cookies.
Making pizzelle cookies without a pizzelle maker
This recipe uses a cookie press to make these pretty shapes but don't worry if you do not have a cookie press. The dough is nice and thick and you can just as easily spoon it out on to your sheet pan.
These oven baked pizzelle cookies make a great gift (like the way I used them) or a great sweet treat to serve with coffee or tea during the holidays. That little bit of anise in them really makes them taste extra special.
Speaking of the anise, I have spent years perfecting this recipe to make sure the amount was just right and not overpowering and medicinal tasting. In the recipe below, I have included my handy trick of rolling the anise oil of your spoon to guarantee you will not ever over do it.
This is now going to be a new holiday tradition for us 🙂 If you don't want to invest in a pizzelle maker but love the flavors of pizzelles then this is the perfect recipe for you to try!
If you are still not sure and think you might want the real pizzelle cookies, and want to invest in a pizzelle maker, you might like this recipe for Traditional Italian Pizzelles. Either of these Italian Christmas cookies are great. I hope you give this one a try!
Oven Baked Pizzelle Cookies
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp of vanilla
- 3 tiny drops of anise to do this, pour a tiny amount of anise on to a spoon. Slowly turn the spoon downward over your mixture and wait for 3 tiny drops to fall and then you are done!
- 8 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Whisk together your eggs, sugar, vanilla and anise in a medium bowl.
- Now add your flour, salt and baking powder and mix it well until there are no lumps and it looks smooth.
- Now add your melted butter and mix that in to your mixture.
- Making the cookie shapes:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 3-4 cookie sheets.
- With a cookie press, add your dough into the cookie press and make your shapes on to the cookie sheet. If you do not have a cookie press, you can scoop a heaping teaspoon full of dough onto your cookie sheet and gently press the tops down with your fingers before baking.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until your cookies begin to get light golden in color.
- Let cool on a cooling rack completely.
- Optional: you can dust them lightly with powdered sugar once cooled.
You May Also Like