If you are looking for an easy cannoli recipe or new pizzelle maker recipes, this pizzelle cannoli recipe is for you. These cream filled pizzelle are so delicious and so easy to make and it has the best cannoli filling. If you love pizzelle and love cannoli cream, you will love this pizzelle cannoli.
Table of contents
Simple Italian Cannoli
Making cannolis with a pizzelle maker is very easy to do. You just need something that you can wrap the pizzelle around (more on that below) when they first come off the pizzelle maker.
Once you do this, you end up with delicious and crisp pizzelle cannoli shells. No need to go go through all of the hassle of deep frying.
For the cannoli cream in this pizzelle cannoli recipe, I modeled it after my favorite cannoli at Modern Pastry in Boston's North End neighborhood.
While I do not have the official recipe, I made the cannoli cream with some mascarpone to make it creamy and more modern like their version.
I have been told by people who have tried this pizzelle cannoli that this is the best cannoli cream they've ever had. I think you will really love it too.
Ingredients to make pizzelle cannoli
Pizzelle cannoli shells
- All purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Baking powder
These are the same ingredients I use to make my pizzelle. The pizzelle cannoli come out nice and crisp when you use this recipe.
Cannoli cream for pizzelle filling
- Whole milk ricotta cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips for decorating the ends of the cannoli. You can also use crushed pistachios if you prefer.
You will also need a piping bag or ziploc style bag to place the cannoli cream in later. This is so you can pipe the cream into the cannoli shells before serving.
How to make pizzelle cannoli shells
As I mentioned above, to make the pizzelle cannoli shells (aka the easiest cannoli shells you can make), you just have to wrap the warm pizzelle around a cylindrical object that are just coming off the pizzelle iron. As the pizzelle begin to cool, they will crisp up and stay in place.
There is no need to go and buy a special cannoli form because you probably already have something that is the right shape in your kitchen. For me, I was able to use the metal piece from a stainless steel baster (see the picture below).
How to wrap pizzelle
To wrap the pizzelle, I just roll the pizzelle around the metal piece from the baster and then place the pizzelle seam side down on a cooling rack until it cools and holds it shape.
Below is a picture of the stainless steel baster I used and some more ideas for tools in your kitchen that will help you make pizzelle cannoli shells. There is no need to buy any special cannoli making equipment.
Making cannoli shells with a pizzelle maker is so easy!
The best cannoli filling
I know I may be biased but I really think this is the BEST cannoli filling. Seriously! I have also been told by everyone who has tried these that it is their favorite version of cannoli cream.
The ingredient that I add to the traditional ricotta cannoli cream is mascarpone cheese. Mascarpone is an Italian cream cheese that is very silky and smooth.
The mascarpone really smooths out the texture of the cannoli cream and adds a beautiful hint of sweetness. It is so good.
When planning on making this cannoli recipe, it is best to make the cannoli cream ahead of time so that the ricotta has time to drain (see recipe below) and so that the finished cannoli cream has time to set up.
More pizzelle maker recipes:
When you own a pizzelle maker, there are many ways to make use of it. Here are some of my favorite ways.
- The most traditional use for a pizzelle maker is making pizzelle. My favorite pizzelle recipe is a family recipe and it is loved by everyone I make it for 🙂
- I also love making oven baked pizzelle. This uses the same pizzelle batter as this recipe except the batter is piped on to a baking sheet and baked like regular cookies. So good!
- You can use the end of a tapered rolling pin to roll the pizzelle around and make pizzelle ice cream cones. If you are worried about the ice cream dripping through the point at the bottom, just melt some chocolate and pour a little bit into the cone making sure it it is covering the tip from the inside. When the chocolate cools, it will harden and form a seal. An added bonus is you get a delicious bite of chocolate at the end of eating your ice cream cone.
Faqs and Tips
Cannoli cream should be added to the cannoli shells right before serving. This ensures the cannoli shells stay crisp.
The cannoli cream should always be refrigerated so it will be cold. The cannoli shells are at room temperature since they are stored separately.
More pizzelle filling ideas
For this simple cannoli recipe, I like to use a vanilla cannoli cream. You can also add more to this cannoli cream to fill the pizzelle.
Here are some ideas for you:
- Make a chocolate cannoli cream by adding a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- You can add a few tablespoons of Nutella for a hazelnut filling.
- Candied citrus is also a great item to fold into the cannoli cream if you love citrus desserts.
More Italian Desserts You May Like:
- Italian Mascarpone Cake with Berries
- Basil Olive Oil Cake
- Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar
- Italian Plum Tart
- Panna Cotta with Strawberries
- Italian Bread Pudding
- Bread Pudding Sauce
- Italian Snowball Cookies
- Carrot Cake Recipe
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
Pizzelle Cannoli Shells
- 1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick 8 tablespoon of melted unsalted butter
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tiny drops of anise To do this, pour a tiny amount of anise on to a spoon. Slowly turn the spoon downward over your mixture and wait for 3 tiny drops to fall and then you are done!
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups Whole milk ricotta drained
- 1 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips For decorating the ends of the cannoli.
Making the Cannoli Cream (this is best done ahead of time!)
- Place the ricotta into a sieve over a bowl and press down to help the ricotta release dome of its liquids.2 cups Whole milk ricotta
- Cover the ricotta and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours but up to 24 hours. This step I like to do the day before making my pizzelle cannolis 🙂
- After the ricotta has had time to drain, place the ricotta into a medium bowl.
- Now add the mascarpone, powdered sugar and vanilla.1 cup Mascarpone cheese, 1 cup Powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- Fold the powdered sugar into the cheese mixture so it doesn't fly around when you start the electric mixer.
- Now with a hand held or stand mixer, mix the filling on medium speed for 3 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
- Once it is fluffy, place a piping bag or ziploc bag into a tall glass with the edges of the bag folded over the sides of the glass.
- Place the cannoli cream inside the bag then twist the top and seal with a clip or rubber band.
- Place in the fridge for about 1-2 hours to chill or until ready to use.
Pizzelle Cannoli Shells
- Whisk together your eggs, sugar, vanilla and anise (see how to measure anise above) in a medium bowl.3 eggs, ¾ cup of sugar, 3 tiny drops of anise, 1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Now add your flour, salt and baking powder and mix it well until there are no lumps and it looks smooth.1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoon of baking powder, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Now add your melted butter and mix that in to your mixture.1 stick
- Pre-heat your pizzelle maker. They are all a little different so follow the manufacturers instructions for this.
- While the pizzelle maker is heating, get your cannoli form ready to shape the pizzelle when they come off the pizzelle maker. See notes above for ideas.
- Once it is heated, add a heaping tablespoon of your thick dough to the middle of each of your pizzelle areas on the iron.
- Close and cook for about 30-45 seconds until it is a light golden color. If the pizzelle is too light in color you can just close the pizzelle maker and cook the pizzelle for a few more seconds.
- Once they are cooked, remove the pizzelles from the iron (they will still be soft and pliable at this point) roll them around the cannoli form.
- Place the pizzelle cannoli seam side down while it cools so it will hold its shape.
- Keep doing this until all of the batter is used up!
- Once all of your pizzelle cannoli shells are fully cooled, place them in an air tight container side by side (not stacked).
Filling the Pizzelle Cannoli
- Once you are ready to eat the cannoli, that is when you fill them!
- Grab the cannoli cream from the fridge and snip the and of your piping bag (or corner of your Ziploc bag).
- grab the cannoli shell and squeeze cannoli cream into one end of the cannoli shell. Then squeeze cannoli cream on the other end of the cannoli shell.
- To decorate with mini chocolate chips, hold the cannoli vertically and sprinkle the chocolate chips on to the cream ends.½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Serve immediately.
Different Flavored pizzelles:To make different flavored pizzelles, follow the recipe the same except use these substitutions. To make chocolate pizzelles: Use 1 ½ cups of flour plus 2 tablespoons. Add ¼ cup of cocoa powder (good quality) to the flour before adding the wet ingredients. For the sugar, increase the amount of sugar in the recipe by ¼ cup (for a total of 1 cup of sugar in the recipe). To make Vanilla pizzelles: Omit the anise and add an extra ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. To make lemon pizzelles: Omit the anise and vanilla and add ½ teaspoon of lemon extract. To make almond pizzelles: Omit the anise extract and add ¼ teaspoon of almond extract.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
Made these pizzelle cannolis over the weekend and they were amazing. That cannoli cream is seriously delicious.
Hi Kenny. I am glad you enjoyed it 🙂 I love that cannoli cream too!
Both the pizzelle cannoli shells and the cannoli cream cream were so delicious. I was looking for a new recipe to make use of my pizzelle maker and this was perfect.
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed it!