Miso rubbed roasted broccolini is a very easy and very tasty way to roast broccolini. If you are stuck in a slump with different ways to prepare your vegetables, adding miso is definitely a great new idea to try! I think this is the best way to make broccolini!
I have to say that I have become obsesses lately with miso. because it is actually quite versatile in the kitchen. More than I even thought.
I normally do not like to buy specialty ingredients but this will last you a while since it is already a fermented item and I’ll give you a couple of ideas on other ways to use it later on.
What is Miso?
Miso is basically fermented soybean. There is dark miso an d light miso but since I am newer to the flavor and cooking with it, I chose the light miso for its lighter flavor.
Basically, the darker the miso is, the stronger it will be!
It is also becoming more readily available which is great so you can choose the brand that is available to you.
Now that we have talked about the miso, let’s talk about the sauce that goes with this broccolini.
The sauce I like to make with this is what I call an Asian dipping sauce. It is just the name I made up for a sauce that I make very often and I am quite addicted to it.
The sauce for the miso rubbed roasted broccolini is made up of:
- Soy Sauce
- Toasted sesame oil
- rice wine vinegar (I prefer the seasoned kind)
- chili paste (any Asian chili paste works)
I know again that some of the ingredients sound specialty, like the chili paste but I go through this stuff fast because I use it on many different things. It lasts forever too so it won’t go bad.
You can omit the chili paste and just use red pepper flakes if you want. I would recommend not skipping the other ingredients though because those are the main flavors of the sauce!
This roasted broccolini recipe goes so well with so many items. I love eating it with my Miso Glazed Salmon and making things easy by rubbing miso on the broccoli then on the salmon. I also serve it with the most delicious seeded chicken schnitzel. I use the sauce as a dip for both!
I mentioned that I would would give you ideas on how to use that miso so here are my favorite:
- I love to add a big scoop to instant ramen noodles! It really makes the ramen taste more like miso soup and much fuller in flavor.
- As I mentioned above, I like adding miso to salmon or any other fish.
- You can also add the miso to any vegetable that you are roasting up. The process is the same as it is here for the broccolini.
- Another way I love using miso is to make miso ginger dressing! That recipe is coming soon but if you love the dressing at Japanese restaurants that comes with the salad then you will know what this is.
I hope you give this miso rubbed broccolini with Asian dipping sauce a try and see why miso is so amazing in your recipes!
Miso Rubbed Broccolini with Asian Dipping Sauce
- 4 bunches of broccolini
- 2 tbsp light miso paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- toasted sesame seeds for sprinkling on broccolini when serving optional but recommended
Asian Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice vine vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chili paste or more if you like it really spicy
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Add your olive oil and miso paste to a large bowl and mix well until it is well incorporated
- Now add your broccolini to the bowl and mix it around in the miso sauce making sure to coast all of the broccolini.
- Place your broccolini on to a large sheet pan making sure the broccolini is not overlapping.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the broccolini begins to brown on the edges and is easily pierced with a fork.
Asian Dipping Sauce
- While the broccolini is roasting, grab a small bowl and all of your ingredients for the sauce.
- Mix the ingredients into your bowl and whisk until it all comes together and the chili paste is no longer clumpy.
- Once the broccolini is ready, remove from the oven and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (if using).
- Grab 4 ramekins or very small bowls and evenly distribute your sauce into them.
- Place broccolini on to 4 plates along with the sauce and eat immediately.