Cumin and lime coleslaw is a fresh and flavorful way to make coleslaw that doesn’t taste heavy and makes a great topping to tacos, rice bowls or on its own. The addition of cilantro, lime and cumin make it a perfect fresh flavor to add to your meals.
If you are looking for a coleslaw recipe that is a keeper then this is it!
This recipe uses a little mayonnaise and sour cream but vegan friendly versions can easily be substituted and still taste great! This recipe can be easily doubled for a larger group.
I love serving this with my cuban style black beans and some rice. These also go well with tacos or rice bowls like my pulled pork rice bowl. However you use it, it will definitely add a punch of delicious flavor to any dish.
What I love about this recipe:
- This recipe requires no cooking
- It is big on flavor
- The coleslaw pairs so well with so many dishes
You can make this cumin lime coleslaw lighter but substituting some of the ingredients. I love using greek yogurt in place of the sour cream or a lighter fat mayonnaise instead of the regular one. I wouldn’t use fat free mayonnaise though since it would loose too much of flavor.
If you are not a fan of cumin, you should still try out this recipe because the flavors really come together nicely and you don’t really detect the cumin on it’s own. Cumin adds a slightly smoky and earthy background flavor to your dishes.
You can always start out with half the amount of cumin and work your way up from there.
I personally love cumin so I actually end up adding way more than the recipe calls for. You will also notice that many of my other recipes have cumin in them like my Coconut Curry vegetable soup with ramen or my amazing fajitas from leftovers.
This coleslaw is so fresh and so delicious and is the perfect side dish to so many meals. We eat this on repeat at our house and we never get tired of it. It really makes an amazing addition to black beans and rice and a great way to pull off a meatless meal.
Cumin and Lime Slaw
- 8-10 oz of green and purple cabbage mixed I buy bagged shredded slaw for this. You can also use Kale cut up in ribbons with shredded carrots for extra nutrients instead of the cabbage.
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp of cumin plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp of sour cream
- 2 tbsp of mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste I use about 1/2 tsp of each
- Optional: I small shallot thinly cut
- In a large bowl add your mayonnaise, sour cream, cumin, cilantro and shallot if your are using it. .
- Next add your cabbage mix
- Now squeeze the fresh lime over top and add your salt and pepper. Mix well so all of the ingredients come together. It may look a little dry but once it sits it will come together and moisten.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes to an hour covered in the refrigerator
- Serve with your favorite taco, rice bowl or meal