Sausage and tortellini soup is one of my all time favorite soups that I make. This soup is made with a broth that is full of garlic for warmth and just a touch of heavy cream for sweetness that compliments the sausage and vegetables in the soup. It is very simple and very delicious!
I love this sausage and tortellini soup recipe for when the weather starts to get cooler and temps begins to fluctuate from hot to cold because mother nature is in transition. When this happens, my body starts to feel run down and I need to pay extra attention to what I eat.
Soups, for me, are the miracle dish in making me feel better when my body is dragging. To me homemade soup is warm and comforting, mood lifting and an energy booster. This is why I make a pot of soup almost every week.
The ingredients you will need for this sausage and tortellini soup are:
- Cheese tortellini
- Italian sausage (sweet or mild)
- Chicken stock
- Italian oregano
Other Soup Ideas:
- Vegetable Soup With Cabbage
- Coconut Curry vegetable Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Carrot and Acorn Squash Soup
I don’t just make this during the colder months. This soup is on rotation all year at our house because it so so easy and it makes great leftovers. If you want to make this for leftovers make sure you follow the notes at the bottom of the recipe for the best way to make the tortellini portion for leftovers.
This soup is definitely a great one to keep in your rotation all year and one that everyone will love.
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 2 pints of unsalted chicken broth I used homemade but you can buy really good stock at the store. Just don’t buy the really cheap stuff
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 7 medium carrots diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic diced
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 sweet Italian sausage links casings removed
- 5 red potatoes quartered all the same size
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 small packages of cheese tortellini or 1 large package your favorite brand
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add your olive oil.
- When your oil is hot, add your diced carrots, onions and celery and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Now add your garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Once your vegetables have cooked, go ahead and add your sausages (with the casings removeinto the pot and break it up into small pieces.
- Cook your sausage until it is brown and cooked all the way through.
- Once this is done, go ahead and add your chicken broth, oregano and parsley and stir well. Add another pinch of salt at this point.
- Next, add your potatoes and reduce heat to a simmer on medium low heat. Keep cooking your soup until the potatoes are fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- While your potatoes are cooking, grab a medium pot and fill with water for your tortellini. Bring to a boil and cook your tortellini according to the instructions on the package usually 3-4 minutes.
- Drain your tortellini and add it back to it's pot (move it off the heat and add a good drizzle of olive oil and gently mix to prevent them from sticking. Set aside. Note: You want to keep your pasta separate from your soup until you are ready to serve it or else your pasta will drink up all your broth and become mushy.
- Back to the soup, once the potatoes are ready (this is when you can pierce them with a fork) you can go ahead and add your heavy cream to the soup and stir well. Taste for seasoning at this point and see if it needs salt or pepper.
- To assemble:
- Add a large ladle of tortellini to each bowl and then ladle in the soup over top making sure to get some of all the yummy ingredients into each bowl.