Ravioli with walnuts and asparagus is a meal that I love because it tastes so delicious and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. It is the ideal weeknight dinner and you can feel good eating it because of the vegetables and walnuts- that’s a win-win for me!
This recipe calls for frozen store-bought ravioli (which is why the meal is simplified and quick) but you can certainly use a fancier fresh store-bought ravioli or make your own. I choose this type because it can be ready quickly and it is economical. If you cannot have gluten, you can easily substitute the ravioli for gluten-free pasta. Just make sure the pasta is a shaped variety like spirals or rigatoni and not spaghetti or angel hair which lacks the bite needed to round off the meal.
This dish couldn’t be more delicious and simple for your next weeknight meal. Really this can be made even as a special meal on weekends or even for guests. Give it a try, you won’t regret it!
Cheese Ravioli with Brown Butter, Walnuts and Asparagus
- 1 large bag of frozen large cheese ravioli
- 1 bundle of asparagus
- 1 cup of toasted walnuts
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Parmesan cheese grated about 1/4 cup or to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Fill a large pasta pot with water and bring to a boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, clean your asparagus and trim off the thick rubbery ends and discard.
- Now, fill a large saute pan with water, add your asparagus and bring to a boil. You want to blanch your asparagus. Boil your asparagus for 3-4 minutes then drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking and then set aside.
- In the same saute pan, dry it out then over medium heat add your walnuts and lightly toast them for about 4 minutes turning frequently.
- Remove the walnuts from the saute pan and set aside.
- Now add your stick of butter to the saute pan which is still very hot and let it melt over medium heat. Once the butter is melted let it continue to cook on low heat until it starts to get foamy and turn a light brown color (about 5 minutes) then turn the heat to lowest setting and add your asparagus into the pan to warm.
- Once your pasta water comes to a boil add your ravioli and stir well but gently so they do not stick to each other. Cook your ravioli according to the instructions on the package, about 4 minutes.
- When cooked, drain the ravioli and add it to your saute pan with the butter and asparagus. Add your olive oil and toss well. Now add in your walnuts and gently toss it all together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate your ravioli in individual dishes and top with a good sprinkling of Parmesan and enjoy!!