Italian gnocchi and kale in Parmesan cream sauce is a delicious and very easy gnocchi recipe with the most amazing creamy gnocchi sauce. The kale is roasted in the oven while the gnocchi is sautéed to crispy perfection on the stovetop so no time is wasted int he kitchen. This meal is one of my favorite quick meals and such a quick and easy gnocchi recipe.
More about this super easy gnocchi recipe:
This Italian gnocchi recipe is made by using pre-packaged, shelf stable gnocchi. The sauce for this Italian gnocchi is a Parmesan cream which is cream infused with some lemon and Parmesan. It is like a cream sauce (but not as thick) and it coats the gnocchi and kale beautifully. It is also really easy to make.
I like to roast the kale in the oven to crisp it up and to make sure the kale does not flavor the Parmesan cream with the flavor of kale. In total, this meal is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Gnocchi (shelf stable gnocchi)
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan cheese and the rind
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
Notes about the ingredients
I like using curly kale for this gnocchi recipe because it holds it shape well when roasting. If you cannot find curly kale, the smoother variety, lacinato will work as well. Just reduce the roasting time a little so it still has some shape.
The parmesan cream sauce for the gnocchi:
Parmesan cream is a little different from an Alfredo sauce. Same ingredients except the Parmesan cream is made with a little lemon. The lemon helps add a little background flavor (just a bit) and it also helps thicken the cream. Try not to skip this ingredient.
We use shelf stable gnocchi for this recipe. If you are not familiar with this, it is gnocchi that is in a vacuum sealed package that is found in the main isles of your grocery store. You can also use fresh gnocchi if that is what you have on hand.
How to make:
Tips for making this Italian gnocchi with kale and Parmesan cream:
- Make sure you sauté the gnocchi until it is just starting to brown. This will give it a nice bite.
- Allow the gnocchi and kale to sit in the Parmesan cream for at least a minute, stirring often so the gnocchi gets a chance to pick up some of that sauce.
- Male sure you cut your kale into bite sized pieces. This will help ensure that you can pick up a little kale and gnocchi with a fork with each bite.
- You do not need to boil your gnocchi first since you are sautéing them in a pan.
- Gnocchi is actually not a pasta. It is made from flour, eggs, Parmesan and potatoes.
- You can find shelf stable gnocchi in the International food section of your grocery store.
More Italian Recipes:
- Sheet pan Gnocchi with Pumpkin
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli
- Spaghetti with Pork Bolognese
- Italian Baked Zucchini
- Italian Pizzelles
- Pasta Genovese
Italian Gnocchi with Kale and Parmesan Cream
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 16 ounces gnocchi shelf stable about 1 package
- 8 cups finely chopped curly kale About 2 bunches of kale. Rinsed, dried and chopped into bite sized pieces
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated fine plus the rind
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ½ lemon
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the leaves of the kale off of the stem and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Add your chopped kale to a large sheet pan.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of your olive oil over your kale.
- Now sprinkle ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and the garlic powder over the kale.
- With your hands, rub the the kale until all the seasoning is coating the kale evenly.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the kale is cooked and just beginning to crisp up on the edges.
- Remove the kale from the oven and squeeze the lemon over the top then set aside
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add your remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Now add your gnocchi to the pan making sure not to overlap them.
- Let the gnocchi cook for about 5 minutes gently shaking the pan and tossing the gnocchi.
- Once the gnocchi start to crisp up a little bit, remove from the pan and on to a plate. Set aside.
- Scrape off any gnocchi bits left behind in the pan then place the pan back on the stove.
- In the same sauté pan over medium low heat, add your cream and mix well.
- Now add the remaining ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt, half of your grated Parmesan and the Parmesan rind and mix again.
- Bring to a gentle simmer then reduce heat to low and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Taste the Parmesan cream for any additional salt needed.
- Now add your gnocchi and kale into the Parmesan cream and turn off the heat.
- Gently toss the gnocchi and kale into the sauce for about one minute until everything is evenly coated in the Parmesan cream.
- Serve immediately with the additional Parmesan cheese for topping.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here