Eggnog snowball cookies are my latest delicious creation when I was thinking of ways to have festive holiday cookies that tasted amazing but were all natural and didn’t use dyes or sprinkles. I was also thinking of the easiest way to make cookies on demand and a recipe that requires no rolling out or cutting.
These eggnog flavored cookies check off all of those boxes!
These eggnog cookies are made with with a delicious spice blend of cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. The turmeric give it that beautiful color! I love to make a double batch (makes 4 discs) of these and keep them in my refrigerator and take 1 disc of dough out and bake each evening. They are really easy to make so I can knock this out right before dinner.
For the taste of these eggnog snowball cookies, they literally melt in your mouth and taste just like you are eating eggnog! There is actually no eggnog in this recipe, just the spices that you would find in eggnog.
There is enough butter to carry that same rich flavor you would find in eggnog so you aren’t missing a thing, The recipe also does not have a lot of sugar in the dough compared to most cookie recipes because we roll them in powdered sugar when they are done baking.
This recipe makes a good amount of cookies, around 40 snowballs, but you can easily half the recipe to make less or store half of the dough in the refrigerator or freezer for another time. If you like easy no roll cookie recipes like this, you may also want to check out my Easy Citrus Snowball Cookies! If you would like more eggnog inspiration, you would love my homemade eggnog!
Give this recipe a try and I’m sure it will be part of your cookie rotation during the holidays for years to come!
Eggnog Snowball Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature 2 sticks
- 2 cups Unbleached all purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt or 1/4 tsp regular salt
- 1 tbsp of eggnog spice mix see below
Eggnog Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
Sugar to roll cookies in after Baking
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted
Making the Dough
- Add all of your ingredients for the cookie dough into a large bowl and mix on low speed with a stand mixer or hand mixer for 1 minute
- Increase the speed after a minute to medium speed and continue mixing until all the dough comes together and forms a ball (about 2 minutes)
- Once the dough has come together, divide it into 2 balls
- wrap each ball in plastic wrap and flatten with your hand into a disc shape. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight
Making the Snowball Shapes
- Remove dough and place on the counter for about 30 minutes before you are ready to start making your cookies.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- When ready to bake, pull small chunks off of your dough disc, about 1 tsp full and roll the dough in your hands into little balls. If the dough is crumbling just squeeze it in your hands to warm it a bit and re-roll.
- Place on a cookie sheet about 1/2 inch apart
- Keep doing this until all of the dough is rolled
- Bake in the oven for 10-13 minutes or until you just begin to see the bottoms start to brown. I like to lift up a cookie after baking for ten minutes and check the bottom for doneness.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes
Rolling in powdered sugar
- Add your powdered sugar into a shallow large bowl
- After your cookies have rested for a few minutes (but while they are still warm), with a spatula, spoon or fork, scoop 1-2 cookies at a time up and place into the powdered sugar.
- Now gently roll and flip the cookies around in the powdered sugar coating them evenly
- Once this is done, remove them from the sugar and place on to a cooling rack
- Continue this until all of the cookies are coated in sugar
- Allow the cookies to rest for at least 30 minutes to full cool
- After cookies have cooled, plate them and lightly dust with a little more powdered sugar
You May Also Like