These easy watermelon margaritas are definitely one of my favorite watermelon cocktails to make and it only requires a few ingredients. This watermelon margarita recipe uses fresh watermelon that is whipped up in a blender to make the most delicious fruity margarita. Just add the watermelon juice to a cocktail shaker with a few other ingredients, shake well and pour over ice for a refreshing summer cocktail that will keep you cool and happy all summer.
Why I love this Fresh Watermelon Margarita Recipe
These fresh watermelon margaritas are the easiest cocktail you can make. I love that they make use of all the fresh watermelon I grow in my garden in the summer.
I also love serving these watermelon margaritas to guests because they are so easy to make. I even make the watermelon juice portion ahead of time so all I have to do is mix the watermelon margarita ingredients together in a cocktail shaker and serve.
I reserve some of the watermelon juice and make watermelon popsicles too!
When entertaining, easy and tasty cocktails are important, and this fresh watermelon margarita fits that bill. I love making a whole Mexican them with these margaritas by serving with my Mexican Barbacoa, ahi tuna ceviche, Mexican refried bean tostadas or my grilled flank steak with salsa criolla.
Watermelon Margarita Ingredients
There are not going to many ingredients to list here because this is the easiest watermelon margarita recipe you can make. Here is what you will need:
- Fresh seedless watermelon. You want to use seedless watermelon for this watermelon margarita because you are going to blend up the watermelon in a blender. Watermelons in the store that are labeled seedless or personal watermelon and both are great options.
- Tequila. Now there are so many flavors of tequila out there but my advice would be to use your favorite brand for these watermelon margaritas. There are only a few ingredients in these margaritas so you will taste all of them.
- Fresh limes. I love adding fresh squeezed limes to these margaritas. It brightens up the flavor of the watermelon and it replaces the triple sec found in a traditional margarita recipe.
- Sugar. This is for the rim. I find that when I add sugar to the rim of the margarita glass, each sip of the watermelon margarita will have a little added sweetness so I do not need to add any to the drink.
- Additional sweeteners (optional). If you prefer a sweeter watermelon margarita, you could certainly add some honey or agave nectar to the blender when making these. I love adding a honey simple syrup to it.
- Ice. This margarita is served over the rocks so you want a good handful of ice for each drink. If you would prefer a frozen watermelon margarita, I have included instructions below for that.
How to make this easy watermelon margarita
Making these fruity margaritas could not be any easier. You just need to do a couple of easy steps before you are sipping on this delicious watermelon cocktail.
- Add fresh watermelon to a blender. Here you are just cubing up the watermelon and adding that to a blender. You do not need any special high powered blender for this since the watermelon is nice and soft.
- Blend watermelon until smooth. Just blend the watermelon in the blender until it is completely smooth and no more pieces of watermelon is left. Very easy!
- Pour juice into a container. You do not need to strain the watermelon juice. I use it the way it is straight out of the blender. I do like to pour the watermelon juice into a container that I can easily store in the fridge and pour from when I am making these watermelon ritas.
- Add ingredients to a cocktail shaker and mix well. Once that watermelon juice is made, you can start making those margaritas by adding the watermelon juice, tequila, and lime juice to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake away. A good rule of thumb for how long to shake the drink is to shake it until the cocktail shaker is really really cold. Then you know it is ready.
- Add sugar rim to glass and pour watermelon margarita into glass.
How to sugar a rim for margaritas
I like to reserve one of the lime halves I used for the lime juice in the recipe for adding the sugar rim. I just cut the used lime half into quarters and rub that around the edge of my margarita glass.
Then you pour some sugar on to a plate and dip the top of the margarita glass in the sugar. The lime that you rubbed on the top of the margarita glass will help the sugar stick to the glass and it will impart a little bit of lime flavor as well.
Making this for a crowd
One of the benefits of this easy watermelon margarita is it is so easy to make a big batch for a crowd. These fruity margaritas are so easy to make ahead of time and they are always a real crowd pleaser.
Here is what you do:
- Make a double or triple batch of this recipe, depending on how many people you are serving, by making your watermelon juice portion of this recipe in the blender and storing it in pitchers in the fridge.
- When you are ready to assemble you can either make the drinks on demand by adding the watermelon juice to a cocktail shaker and making them one at a time or add the liquor and lime juice to the pitchers and stir it well and pour straight from the pitcher.
Best Watermelon for these easy watermelon margaritas
The best watermelon to use when making watermelon margaritas is a seedless watermelon. This is because you will be blending the watermelon in the blender and you do not want the thick watermelon seeds making the drink bitter.
As you can see from the picture above, seedless watermelon do actually have seeds but just the light colored seeds that are soft. Regular watermelon will have the thick black seeds.
I love these easy watermelon margaritas as is with a little sugar from the rim, the freshness from using fresh watermelon and the flavor of the lime and tequila.
If you want to customize this recipe some more to make it your own here are some suggestions:
- Add more sweetness. If you love a sweet margarita, go ahead and add 1-2 tablespoons (or more if you like) to the blender with the watermelon.
- Add a little heat. I always love adding spice to my cocktails and a little cayenne pepper would be great here. Add it to the watermelon juice or add it to the sugar rim. You only need a little!
- Add more fruit! This watermelon margarita would be great with even more fruit. One of my favorite additions is strawberries. To add strawberries, just half the amount of watermelon used and substitute for strawberries.
- Make it a frozen watermelon rita! If you want to make a frozen watermelon margarita, all you need to do is freeze the cubed up watermelon. When ready to make, add the frozen watermelon cubes to a blender with the other ingredients and mix well.
- Add triple sec. If you want a more traditional style margarita, go ahead and add a little triple sec. You only need to add about 1 ounce to the recipe.
How to store leftover watermelon margarita
If you do end up with any extra watermelon margarita, or watermelon juice all you have to do is pour the extra into a small carafe or container and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Store it in the fridge for up to one week.
When ready to use, make sure to give it a quick but good stir.
If you make a big batch of the margarita and had ice mixed in with the margarita ingredients, make sure to remove the ice before storing.
Here are some of our favorite things to serve with these margaritas:
More like this
If you love these easy watermelon margaritas, you will also like these:
Ridiculously Easy Watermelon Margaritas
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- cocktail shaker or jar with lid
- 2 margarita glasses or 2 low ball glasses
- 2 cups cubed watermelon rind removed
- 4 ounces Tequila your favorite brans
- 1 ½ ounces Fresh lime juice reserve the used limes for the sugar rim
- 5 ounces Watermelon juice
- 1 ½ ounces honey or agave syrup optional
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Add watermelon to a blender and mix until completely smooth.2 cups cubed watermelon
- Pour watermelon juice into a carafe or container that pours easily.
- Make the sugar rim by rubbing a lime around the top edge of the margarita glasses.
- Pour sugar on to a plate.½ cup granulated sugar
- Dip the top of the margarita glass into the sugar making sure to coat all the edges then set aside.
- Add 1 cup of ice to a cocktail shaker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.4 ounces Tequila, 1 ½ ounces Fresh lime juice, 5 ounces Watermelon juice, 1 ½ ounces honey or agave syrup
- Shake well for about 1 minutes or until the shaker is very cold.
- Add a handful of ice to each margarita glass.
- Pour watermelon margarita through a strainer into the glasses.
- Garnish with additional lime slice or watermelon slice (optional)
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here
These were delicious! So fresh and so easy to make. We loved that sugar rim too
I am so glad you enjoyed it!