Homemade spice rubs are so easy to make and with a little inspiration from others or your own imagination, you will be on your way to some amazing meals after you make your own!
I call this my famous blackened chicken spice rub because I have been making this for more years than I can remember and everyone who tries it loves it! When I created it, I used what I had on hand and just lucked out with how good it tastes. Traditional blackened spice rubs usually have oregano but I like this oregano free version better!
Hope you give it a try!
My Famous Blackened Spice Rub
- 1/4 cup paprika sweet paprika, not smoked
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper you can add more if you like it real spicy
- Mix all of your spices into a bowl or container if you are storing it for later
- To use:
- dump your spice mix on to a large plate
- take 1 piece of meat at a time and press the meat into the spice blend making sure to coat all of it
- flip it over and do the same for the other side and place on a separate plate
- do this until all the meat is coated with the rub
- To Cook:
- Add some olive oil (about 2-3 tbsp) to a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- When heated, add your meat to the pan and cook until meat is cooked through (this will vary depending on the type of meat you are using, my favorite to use for this rub is chicken). Make sure that you flip your meat halfway during the cooking process to create a nice golden crust on both sides.
- Serve immediately and spoon some of the flavored olive oil from the pan over the meat.