Vegetable Soup with Cabbage
A delicious and easy veggie soup that even the pickiest eaters will love
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 2 boxes of unsalted chicken stock or 5-6 cups of homemade stock
- 6 large carrots diced
- 2 ribs of celery diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 6 medium red or yellow potatoes quartered
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 head of thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra for bread if making
- Crusty bread cut up into slices and shredded parmesan cheese for serving!
Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once pot is heated add onions, garlic, celery, carrots and red pepper flakes and saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
Now, add your sliced cabbage and saute for about 10 minutes to soften it up.
Next, add your chicken stock to the pot along with the diced tomatoes, potatoes and spices and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Let simmer for about 15 minutes. While it is simmering, cut up a baguette into even slices and drizzle olive oil over top. Place under a broiler and broil until it just starts to brown.
Then flip the bread over and repeat on the other side. When bread is done remove from the oven and rub a clove of garlic on the tops of the bread.
After about 15 minutes or so, check that the potatoes are cooked and if any seasoning needs to be added.
Serve Bread with the soup when ready and enjoy!