There is nothing better in this world than a delicious and simple dessert made with only a few high quality ingredients; these buttery oatmeal cookies are just that kind of dessert! They are a classic cookie that is delicious and easy to make and they taste even better when you buy high quality ingredients.
Now there are all different types of oatmeal cookie recipes out there and I am sure they are good, but my preference for these cookies is one that does not have raisins, is sturdy and a little chewy. This cookie checks off all those boxes.
This recipe for oatmeal cookies is made up of oats, flour, brown sugar, vanilla and butter along with eggs and baking soda to bind it all together and give it some rise. Before baking my trick to making these cookies really stand out is to roll them in granulated sugar before baking. It really seals the outside beautifully and gives that distinct oatmeal cookie look (along with it tasting delicious).
This oatmeal cookie dough can be frozen after shaping the cookies and rolling them in sugar and you can bake them from the frozen state when you want a quick cookie treat. You will only need to add a few minutes or so to the cooking time when doing this.
I hope you give these a try and remember how amazing oatmeal cookies can be!
Buttery and Delicious Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 sticks of unsalted room temperature butter the best quality you can find. European butter is a good choice
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats Here I roll my own oats from oat groats but Bobs Red mill organic old fashioned oats works really well too.
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour I prefer to use fresh milled flour but King Arthur is a great option too
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar packed down when measuring If you only have dark brown sugar then substitute with half regular sugar and half dark brown sugar.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling the cookies in before baking
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Make sure to let your oven stay heated at this temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl add your butter, brown sugar and mix well with a mixer until smooth and creamy
- Next, add your vanilla and your eggs and mix until it all comes together
- In a separate bowl, add your flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and mix it all together
- Add these dry ingredients to your bowl of wet ingredients and mix until it all comes together
- Using a small ice cream scoop (or a heaping tablespoon) start to scoop out your dough and roll it into a ball.
- Take each ball of cookie dough and roll it in your granulated sugar then place on to a sheet pan leaving 1 inch of space around your cookies since they will spread.
- Keep doing this until all of your dough is scooped and rolled into the sugar
- Once you have done this, gently press down your cookie balls into a flat disc with the back of a spatula or spoon
- Place your cookies in the oven and bake for 12-18 minutes until the cookies begin to brown a little on the sides and on the top.
- Once they are cooked, remove from the oven and let them sit on the sheet pan for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes remove from the sheet pan to a cooling rack and let them cool for another 15 minutes before eating.