Homemade Apple Dumplings are an easy and delicious dessert that anyone can make with just a few simple ingredients. The only real work involved in this apple dumpling recipe is peeling and coring your apples and the rest is just assembly.
These apple dumplings with puff pastry are a great dessert to make during apple season when apples are abundant. Make sure you use baking apples (granny smith or a similar tart variety) as they hold up better to the baking process and won't turn to mush.
This apple dumpling recipe is a great dessert that makes use of puff pastry sheets which I love working with. I have many puff pastry recipes, like my calzones and frangipane tart because it is very forgiving and the final result is always beautiful.
Whether you are making these apple dumplings or something else, frozen puff pastry is your friend if you are not into fussing with homemade dough. That is why I came up with this apple dumpling with puff pastry recipe!
The ingredients in these homemade apple dumplings are very few. This is a really classic Italian recipe that is all about simplicity.
The ingredients you will need to make these easy apple dumplings are:
- Puff Pastry
- Egg (for brushing on top of the puff pastry before baking)
I told you this was an easy apple dumpling recipe. All very simple ingredients.
The cream and sugar added to the apples inside the puff pastry make a beautiful and delicious sauce. These apple dumplings because they are whole when they wrapped in the puff pastry, come out soft and delicious.
They become even tastier with the sauce that is made inside the puff pastry pocket that you will make.
Here is what the steps look like to make these apple dumplings with puff pastry:
- First you are going to peel and core your apples.
- Then you will take your thawed puff pastry, unfold it and gently roll it out.
- Cut the puff pastry into 4 equal squares.
- Place your apples on top of the puff pastry.
- Drizzle the apples with a little cream, cinnamon and sugar.
- Last you wrap it all up by bring the corners of your puff pastry up over the apples and pressing it closed.
- Brush with your egg wash to get that beautiful golden color.
- Bake and then enjoy!
Honestly, these apple dumplings are incredibly easy and anyone who is served them will be so impressed. They are flaky from the puff pastry and soft and delicious on the inside. The perfect pairing of goodness in each bite.
I really like serving these with a good vanilla ice cream on the side because in my opinion, anything with warm apples always tastes better with vanilla ice cream. I also serve this with homemade whipped cream and that is just as amazing. It keeps with the same theme as the ice cream which is cream and sugar!
How to make these delicious apple dumplings ahead of time:
I love a dessert that looks fancy but it really easy and these apple dumplings are easy. This makes a great dessert to entertain with since you can core and peel your apple ahead of time.
To make this dessert ahead of time, just slice and core your apples then store those apples in a little lemon juice in the fridge to prevent browning. Take the apples out when you are ready to place them on top of the puff pastry.
The puff pastry doesn't need to be prepared ahead of time because the rolling takes one minute to do. You can have guests help you with this too!
Adjusting the amount of apple dumplings you make from the recipe:
You can easily make just one apple dumpling or two by adjusting the recipe accordingly. Just cut the amount of puff pastry that you will need and adjust the ingredients in the recipe.
You will want to store the extra puff pastry in a sealed bag to prevent it from drying out. I love that this recipe is easy to make for one or a crowd.
Why I love this Apple Dumpling recipe:
- It is so easy to make; the only real work is peeling and coring the apple.
- It looks elegant.
- It uses very few ingredients.
- It is great for one person or a large group of people.
- It tastes amazing.
Tips when making these apple dumplings:
Should the leftover apple dumplings be refrigerated?
Yes. These dumplings have cream in the recipe so you want to make sure the extras are refrigerated.
Can I reheat these apple dumplings?
Yes. I like to preheat an oven to 350 degrees. I wrap each apple dumpling aluminum foil and then place them on top of a baking sheet. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, open up the aluminum foil to expose the top of the dumpling and bake for another 2-3 minutes to crisp up the puff pastry.
How long will the apple dumplings last in the fridge after baking them?
Because these are made with puff pastry, I would not recommend storing these apple dumplings for more than 2 days. To reheat, follow the steps above.
For more delicious Apple Recipes:
Homemade Apple Dumplings with Puff Pastry
- 4 granny smith apples peeled and cored but left whole and not sliced
- 1 package of thawed puff pastry sheets only 1 sheet is needed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp sugar
- flour for dusting
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, mix together your cinnamon and sugar and set aside
- In a small bowl beat 1 egg and set aside. This is your egg wash for later.
- Peel and core 4 apples
- Remove one of your puff pastry sheets from the package and gently roll it out on a lightly floured surface to ⅛ inch thick and make sure it is square. The packages usually come with two sheets so you can set the second sheet aside for another dish (if you are not doubling this recipe and using it)
- Now evenly cut your puff pastry into 4 squares with a sharp knife
How to Assemble
- Take yours square of puff pastry and place on top of a sheet pan leaving plenty of space between them.
- Now add 1 apple in the middle of each of your pastry squares.
- Take one spoonful of your cream and pour that into the center of each apple. This is the area that your cored.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ tbsp of your cinnamon sugar mixture over each of the apples making sure to get some into the center where the cream is.
- Now neatly pull the 4 corners of your pastry together pinching together the sides and top to make a seal. Don't worry if there is a little gap here and there.
- Do this for all the apples.
- Once all your apples are assembled, brush the puff pastry on the outside of your apples with your egg wash.
- Place in your pre-heated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until it is golden brown and the apple when pierced with a knife is tender
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar, whipped cream or ice cream
You May Also Like