Homemade Apple Dumplings are an easy and delicious dessert that anyone can make with just a few simple ingredients! The only real work involved in this apple dumpling recipe is peeling and coring your apples and the rest is just assembly.
These apple dumplings with puff pastry are a great dessert to make during apple season when apples are abundant! Make sure you use baking apples (granny smith or a similar tart variety) as they hold up better to the baking process and won't turn to mush.
This is also a great dessert that makes use of puff pastry sheets which I love working with. I have many puff pastry recipes because it is very forgiving and the final result is always beautiful.
The ingredients in these homemade apple dumplings are very few. You will need puff pastry, cream, apples and sugar. That is it!
You can easily make just one apple dumpling or two but adjusting the recipe accordingly. Just cut the amount of puff pastry that you will need and adjust the ingredients in the recipe.
Not many desserts can be made into individual servings!
Why I love this Apple Dumpling recipe:
- It is so easy to make; the only real work is peeling and coring the apple
- It looks elegant
- It uses very few ingredients
For more delicious Apple Recipes:
Homemade Apple Dumplings
- 4 granny smith apples peeled and cored but left whole and not sliced
- 1 package of thawed puff pastry sheets only 1 sheet is needed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp sugar
- flour for dusting
- pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- in a small bowl, mix together your cinnamon and sugar and set aside
- peel and core 4 apples
- remove one of your puff pastry sheets from the package and gently roll it out on a lightly floured surface to ⅛ inch thick and make sure it is square. The packages usually come with two sheets so you can set the second sheet aside for another dish (if you are not doubling this recipe and using it)
- now evenly cut your puff pastry into 4 squares with a sharp knife
- time to assemble:
- take 1 square of puff pastry and place on top of a sheet pan
- now add 1 apple in the middle of your pastry
- take one spoonful of your cream and pour that into the center of your apple
- sprinkle 1 ½ tbsp of your cinnamon sugar mixture over the apple making sure to get some into the center
- now neatly pull the 4 corners of your pastry together pinching together the sides and top to make a seal. Don't worry if there is a little gap here and there.
- Repeat these steps for all your apples and pastry
- Once all your apples are assembled, brush the apples with your egg wash
- place in your pre-heated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until it is golden brown and the apple when pierced with a knife is tender
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar or ice cream
You May Also Like