Baked French toast casserole has to be the most comforting breakfast. If that wasn’t already pretty special, adding sweetened condensed milk to the custard before it bakes just makes this the ultimate breakfast comfort food.
I don’t always make these types of dishes but for special occasions like the holidays, this is what I turn to for breakfast. On top of it being so delicious, I love adding this to my menu plan during holiday times or when entertaining because I can make everything ahead of time (the day before) and just bake it off the next morning when we are ready to eat it.
That is my kind of breakfast! I have added fresh raspberries, walnuts and powdered sugar on top to compliment this casserole and it is my favorite addition to it. You can add your favorites or just eat it as is.
I hope you give this a try!
Baked French toast casserole with sweetened condensed milk, walnuts and raspberries
- 6 large eggs
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 loaf of good sliced bread plain
- 1 tbsp butter for greasing the pan
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts for topping
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries for topping
- powdered sugar for dusting
- butter a 9×9 baking dish and set aside
- In a large bowl add your eggs, condensed milk, milk, vanilla and cinnamon and mix well
- Now, neatly place your slices of bread inside your casserole dish, overlapping and covering any holes or gaps until all the bread is used up
- Now evenly pour your custard from the bowl over your bread making sure all of the bread is covered.
- You will have extra liquid at the bottom of your pan, that's ok!
- gently press the bread down into the pan and into the custard.
- cover with plastic wrap and place int he refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- remove plastic wrap from top and cover with aluminum foil
- Bake for 20 minutes covered in aluminum foil
- After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the top starts to brown lightly and the casserole firms up.
- remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes
- Top with fresh berries, walnuts and powdered sugar
You May Also Like