Sweet dough is a versatile and useful dough to have on hand for baking many different recipes. From cinnamon rolls, baked donuts to yeast rolls, this dough is a real workhouse in the kitchen
Sweet dough is different from other dough because it is made with sugar and milk along with the other usual ingredients in dough like yeast and flour. If you are scared of working with yeast, don’t be because this dough is very forgiving. If the dough does not rise right away (which happens based on temperature and altitude) just give it some more time.
Once you start working with this dough you will see how versatile and essential it is in your baking routine. Your baked treats will be that much more amazing!
Sweet Dough for Baking
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 cup very warm milk (I prefer whole milk) milk should feel hot but not burning when you touch it
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- In a large bowl, stir together your yeast and milk. Next, add your sugar, butter, salt and eggs and mix well. Now, add the flour, one cup at a time, stirring just until it all comes together. The dough will be sticky.
- Place the kneaded dough into a greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size. This can take anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on the temperature of the room. I like to put my bowl inside of my microwave to rise since it is draft free and relatively warm.
- When dough is risen, punch dough down the dough and use it in your favorite sweet dough recipe