Soft pretzels have been an item that my family has loved for years and I never thought they could be made at home. I just assumed it was something that was too complicated and not for the home chef. Well, I am here to tell you that is not true! With store bought pizza dough, you just shape your pretzels, add them to a bath of boiling water that has baking soda in it and then bake them. If you can boil pasta you can make this dish!
I have used store bought pizza dough for this recipe since it makes it easier. I always use pizza dough from the Whole Foods market and it never fails! If you prefer to make your own pizza dough I have a great recipe that we make often and we love it!
This is a great snack to make for friends and family or for game days when you have lots of hungry people who want some good snacks. It is absolutely delicious!
Below are some picture of my pretzel knots when I am working with the dough and before they are baked. Your knots do not need to be perfect!
Soft Pretzels Knots
- raw pizza dough ball
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- 8 cups of water
- 1 egg plus 1 tbsp of water mixed together for egg wash
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees then divide your pizza dough into 4 equal parts and roll each part into 1/2 inch thick pieces and so that it resembles a rounded rectangle
- Cut into strips,4-5 long strips and then cut those strips in half (see my picture)
- Now tie into knot carefully making sure you remember this is dough not shoelaces so you don’t want to pull to hard on the dough 🙂
- Now set aside
- Put 8 cups water in pot with 1/2 cup baking soda and then bring to boil.
- Now place 4-5 knots at a time into boiling water for 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon take them out of the water and place on a greased baking sheet (or use a silpat).
- The knots should be dimpled and puffy.
- Once all knots are out of water and on baking sheet, brush each knot with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sea salt , bake 8-10 min or until golden brown
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce: cheese, mustard, nutella, chocolate!