Salad Nicoise is a classic French salad that you will find all over France. There are many variations of this dish but most will have hard boiled egg, green beans, tuna and tomatoes served over lettuce. I love this dish because it is a light and flavorful and requires very little cooking and mostly assembling.
This dish can be eaten for lunch or dinner and goes great with a side of fresh crusty baguette or fries as is traditional in France.
- 2 small or 1 large heads of Bibb lettuce or butter lettuce
- 2 cups of fresh green beans or 1 small bag
- 1 pint of fresh cherry tomatoes
- 5 radishes sliced thin
- 2 cans of tuna packed in olive oil (drained) I prefer the Italian canned tuna
- 4 red potatoes quartered
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup French olives pitted or kalamata olives pitted
- 1 shallot diced finely
- 1-2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of champagne vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste about 1 tsp of each
- In a medium sauce pan filled half way with water, add your eggs
- Bring the water to a gentle boil and once this happens, remove the pan from heat and place a lid on it and let it sit for 7-8 minutes.
- Next make your vinaigrette by mixing all of the ingredients together in a small bowl and then set aside.
- In a medium pan on your stove top add your potatoes and enough water to cover them completely. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer until they are tender and can be pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- Drain your potatoes and place back in the pan and gently turn them a few times to help evaporate any excess water the potatoes have soaked up.
- Now pour your potatoes in a bowl and add 1 tbsp of your vinaigrette and toss well. Set aside.
- In the same pan you cooked your potatoes, add your green beans and enough water to cover them completely.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes or just long enough so that you can pierce them with a fork but not too long that they loose they vibrant green color.
- When ready, drain and rinse under cold water and set aside. Now grab your cans of tuna and drain the oil from the tuna with a fine strainer.
- Go back to your hard boiled eggs and drain the water and then run them under cold water for a minute. Peel the shells off of the eggs and cut them in half or in quarters.
- On a large platter add your bibb lettuce.
- Then begin adding all of your ingredients in clusters on top of your lettuce.
- Lightly sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper over your potatoes, egg and green beans.
- Serve with your dressing on the side.