Rhubarb simple syrup is a really easy and delicious syrup to use in drinks, cocktails, lemonade or even hot beverages. The rhubarb adds a beautiful pink color to the simple syrup and an almost apple note to the taste.
This rhubarb simple syrup is a great way to use rhubarb when it is in season but you could also use frozen rhubarb too.
Rhubarb Simple Syrup Ingredients
You will only need a few ingredients to make this easy simple syrup. It is so worth the minimal effort- trust me!
- Fresh or frozen rhubarb.
- Granulated sugar
How to make
Making this rhubarb simple syrup requires very little time to make. You will want to plan for at least four hours of cooling time to make sure it is chilled before using.
- Add water, sugar and rhubarb to a sauce pan.
- Bring to a light simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Strain and let cool.
Three simple ingredients and you will be on your way to adding delicious flavor to your favorite drinks. There are no special skills needed to make this and it is very easy.
It is a great way to use some of that rhubarb you see at the markets in the summer and when it is in season.
Fruit infused simple syrups will last for up to one week in the fridge.
Yes. You can make rhubarb simple syrup with frozen or fresh rhubarb.
More flavored simple syrups for you
- Lavender Simple Syrup
- Strawberry Top Simple Syrup
- Basil Simple Syrup
- Cherry Simple Syrup
- Pear Simple Syrup
- Honey Simple Syrup
Rhubarb Simple Syrup
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- Fine mesh strainer
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 ounces rhubarb fresh or frozen. If using fresh rhubarb make sure to cut the rhubarb into ½ inch pieces
- In a medium sauce pan add your rhubarb, sugar and water and bring to a boil
- Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes, place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the rhubarb mixture over that.
- Gently press the rhubarb in the strainer one time to release the remaining juices.
- Discard the rhubarb and allow the rhubarb simple syrup to cool and come to room temperature.
- Once the syrup has come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to chill.
- After it has chilled, you can transfer the simple syrup to a proper storage container or leave in the bowl until ready to sue in your favorite drink or cocktail.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here