Rhubarb simple syrup is a really easy and delicious syrup to use in drinks, cocktails, lemonade or even hot beverages. The rhubarb adds a beautiful pink color to the simple syrup and an almost apple note to the taste.
Making this simple syrup requires very little time to make but you will want to plan for at least four hours of cooling time to make sure it is chilled before using. You can use fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb, whatever you have available. I wasn’t able to get fresh rhubarb so I used frozen.
What you will need to make this simple syrup:
- Rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- A fine mesh strainer
Three simple ingredients and you will be on your way to a delicious way to flavor your favorite drinks. There are no special skills needed to make this and it is very easy. It is a great way to use some of that rhubarb you see at the markets in the summer and when it is in season.
Rhubarb Simple Syrup
- Fine mesh strainer
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 ounces rhubarb fresh or frozen. If using fresh rhubarb make sure to cut the rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces
- In a medium sauce pan add your rhubarb, sugar and water and bring to a boil
- Once it has come to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 5 minutes, place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the rhubarb mixture over that.
- Gently press the rhubarb in the strainer one time to release the remaining juices.
- Discard the rhubarb and allow the rhubarb simple syrup to cool and come to room temperature.
- Once the syrup has come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to chill.
- After it has chilled, you can transfer the simple syrup to a proper storage container or leave in the bowl until ready to sue in your favorite drink or cocktail.