Southwestern style hummus is a great loaded hummus dip that is full of bold flavors. Just buy your hummus and throw on tons of delicious Southwest toppings to make this easy appetizer that everyone will love.
The easiest appetizer you can make: Hummus Dip! Hummus and pita chips has to be the easiest appetizer to throw together when entertaining friends and family and this version really takes that to a new level.
This Southwestern loaded hummus dip is great as a game day snack, after school snack or a light meal.
This hummus dip is so easy to make and so good. To make things even easier, we have gone ahead and used store bought hummus but you can certainly make your own.
I like to focus my efforts on the toppings. To us, this is the most important part.
This loaded southwestern hummus is topped with southwestern inspired toppings. The toppings can be changed up with your own favorites as well and you can just use this recipe as a starting point.
The ingredients in this Southwestern loaded hummus dip
- roasted squash with southwestern spices
- corn nuts (you probably have never had these but they are just roasted corn kernels that are crunchy and delicious)
- queso fresco
- sliced radishes
- slice grape tomatoes.
You can also use avocado, charred fresh corn, salsa, pico de gallo or whatever else you like that fits the theme. This appetizer is meant to be easy and delicious and we are only following a general theme.
What to dip in hummus dip
- Pita bread, cut into small triangles for dipping (the most traditional)
- Pita Chips which add a nice crunch and are most traditional at parties!
- Lettuce cups
- Just about anything else you can think of that makes a great edible scooper!
This recipe is great to entertain with at the holidays or just with friends. It makes a great after school snack or an easy appetizer.
More Dip Recipes For You
Loaded Southwestern Hummus
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- 2 small tubs of store bought hummus or homemade hummus is you're making your own
- 1 yellow squash cleaned and sliced into ½ inch thick slices
- ¼ cup corn nuts Preferably spiced with chili and lime if you can find it. These are usually found in the chips and snacks isle at the grocery stores.
- 4 radishes cleaned and thinly sliced
- ½ cup queso blanco crumbled
- ½ cup grape tomatoes cleaned and sliced in half
- ¼ cup cilantro cleaned and leaves removed from stems
- ⅛ cup of red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup cooked chick peas I used canned and rinsed them well
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bag of pita chips
- ⅛ cup olive oil for drizzling over veggies and finishing off plate
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees
- Take your rinsed and dried chick peas and sliced squash and place on a sheet pan making sure they are not overlapping
- drizzle the chick peas and squash with olive oil and then sprinkle the chili powder, salt and cumin evenly over top.
- Place sheet pan in the oven for 10 minutes or until the chick peas and squash start to lightly brown and crisp up
- Remove from the oven in set aside
- Take your hummus and spread it on to a large platter evenly
- Now carefully place squash evenly on to of hummus
- Next sprinkle around the chick peas on the platter
- Continue doing this with the corn nuts, queso fresco, tomatoes and sliced red onions
- Finish topping your platter with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkling the cilantro leaves on top
- Serve with pita chips on the side
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here