Homemade golden milk mix is such an easy and quick way to add flavor to so many dishes. I love adding it to my morning coffee or even into homemade ice cream or my shortbread cookies and snowball cookies cookies for a warm flavor.
Golden Milk spice blend is an extremely delicious and healthy way to boost your immune system. One of the great benefits of it is that it is full of anti-inflammatory properties. It is so delicious usually added to warm milk, coffee or tea and can replace the need for flavored creamers that so many people use.
History of Golden Milk-
If you are not familiar with this golden milk, its roots date back many years and it is used in Ayurvedic medicine. The exact mix of ingredients is debated and some say the addition of cinnamon is a western culture addition. In either scenario, the current version works and tastes great.
I am not here though to prove the exact recipe origin, just share the way we use and refer to golden milk today and my golden milk powder recipe. I am ok with all of the ingredients as they are since they are all healthy ingredients and beneficial to our health.
When you buy golden mix powder at the store it can be quite expensive. Making your own golden milk powder at home is much more economical. Most of the ingredients in this recipe you will probably have in your pantry and you can adjust the ratios of the spices to suit your needs.
“Traditionally” these 4 spices make up a golden milk powder:
- black pepper.
I like making my blend without the black pepper so I can use it for baking and desserts but when I make a warm mug of golden milk I add the pepper then. This is what I mean about the benefits of making your own golden milk mix.
My homemade Golden Milk spice blend can be used the traditional way by adding one tsp of it to a warm mug of milk (golden milk) or added to anything you make that you want to add a punch of health or flavor.
Some creative ways to use golden milk mix-
- Ice cream, like my golden milk ice cream.
- Hot tea
- You can add this turmeric based spice blend in your coffee. Golden milk Lattes are the best! To make a golden milk latter, just add 1 tbsp of the mix to your latte and mix well.
- Regular coffee flavor addition (in place of flavored creamers). Just add a heaping tablespoon into your morning coffee and mix well.
- Cookies, like my spiced eggnog cookies which are actually made with golden mix mix.
- or anything else that would taste great with the flavor of cinnamon.
Golden Milk Mix
- 1 tbsp dried ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried ground turmeric
- 1 tsp dried ground ginger
- Measure out all of your ingredients into a small container
- mix well
- cover your container and use when needed