Oven baked eggs is a very simple and delicious way to make eggs and only takes a few minutes to prepare. These baked eggs are a French style way of eating eggs (with herbs added to the eggs) and it is served with some garlic crostini for dipping into yolks (to me the best part).
About this baked eggs recipe
There is very little work involved in this baked egg recipe. Just chopping herbs, assembling your ingredients and a few minutes under the broiler before you are you can enjoy this delicious breakfast.
The herbs that I use in this baked eggs recipe are ones that I like a lot, thyme and basil. Parmesan and garlic are added to this recipe as well which help form a nice crust top when it's placed in the oven and it is just out of this world.
You can also use fresh tarragon or oregano! I happen to love fresh tarragon (Tarragon Chicken is my absolute favorite dish) because of it's sweetness but I do not always have that on hand and I am not a fan of the dried version. If you do have some fresh tarragon lying around I definitely recommend using it in this dish.
Remember that this dish is about being easy and using what you have available.
Making the crostini ahead of time
The best thing about this recipe is that it only takes about 10 minutes and it is done! To make it easier, I will plan this meal after making crostini the day before which I make with all my soups (see below for some) and save some of them for this dish the next morning.
To re-heat the crostini, I just wrap them in some aluminum foil and place them in the oven when the eggs are baking and they are ready when the eggs are ready.
This is a great treat to try on the weekend to make it a little more special! You can also customize it with your own favorite herb combinations.
More Like This
If you love this baked eggs recipe, you may also like these:
You may also like these crostini recipes:
- Goat Cheese Crostini with Red Peppers and Capers
- Strawberry and Goat Cheese Crostini
- Tomato Soup with Cheesy Crostini
- Tomato Rubbed Crostini (Catalan Bread)
Herb Baked Eggs with Crostini
Tried the Recipe? We Would Love To Hear From You In The Comments Below!
- wide ramekins for baking the eggs in (the ones in the picture measure 5 x 5 inches and are only a little more than ½ inch deep) or similar sized oven proof dishes that will hold 2 eggs each.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoon of milk
- 2 oven safe large ramekins or similar
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¼ cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme you can use fresh too
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil you can use fresh too
- pinch of slat and fresh ground pepper
- Crostini Bread
- Preheat your broiler.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet and place under broiler for a few minutes while you prepare your eggs.
- In each ramekin, place 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 teaspoon of milk.
- Place under broiler for 3-4 minutes until nice and hot.
- While ramekins are under broiler, grate your cheese, measure out your spices and mince your garlic and add them all to a bowl and mix together.
- Now take the ramekins out of the oven and crack 2 eggs into each ramekin (1 if you prefer- see notes below).
- After the eggs are in the ramekins, sprinkle ½ of the herb and cheese mixture over top of each ramekin and place back under the broiler for another 4-5 minutes or until the eggs are set and bubbly but the yolk is still runny.
- Serve with some Oregano Crostini bread (recipe above) for dipping or regular baguette.
Nutrition Values are estimates only.See full nutrition disclaimer here