This chili recipe which I call, Amazing Chili with leftovers is my all time favorite chili recipe. If there is anything that is about Keeping It Simple in my house it is making meals that last for 2 days (leftovers) and that taste great.
Chili is one of those dishes that actually tastes better the next day because all of those great flavors and spices have more time to hang out and get to know each other. This chili is made with beef and sausage and is so easy to make.
It will also save you from cooking a meal on the second day since it makes a lot so you will have leftovers.
This recipe is for 4 people (for 2 nights worth of meals or 8 total servings) and can easily be doubled or cut in half! When making chili, I always like to make my own seasoning blend and not use the store bought ones.
The chili seasoning-
If you have never made your own chili seasoning blend, it is really easy and it really does taste better. If you do not know what to do with all that leftover paprika and seasoning, you can try out my fajitas from leftovers or my sheet pan fajitas. Both of these will help you use up those spices.
The ingredients you will need for the seasoning are:
- Chili powder
- Sweet Paprika
- Crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
The amounts listed in the recipe are your starting point for the seasoning. It is amazing just this way or you can add more of any ingredient based on your own taste.
No matter how you adjust the seasoning, it will taste amazing. The ingredients are simple and the dish is a real time saver for busy evenings.
Slow Cooker Method:
This chili recipe is for cooking chili on the stovetop but I often make this in the slow cooker too. All the ingredients and steps are the same.
If you want to use the slow cooker, just set your slow cooker to low and cook your chili from 4-6 hours before turning it to the warm setting.
Using the slow cooker is a real time saver so if you are pressed for time, this is the way to go!
Ideas for Using the Leftover Chili:
You can freeze the leftover chili and have it on hand whenever you need a quick meal. Just thaw the chili in the refrigerator over night. If you are in a real rush, just add the frozen chili to a large pot and warm gently until it has thawed.
If your crew gets bored with chili after a couple days, it makes great chili nachos which can really change things up for everyone. I love to add the chili to nachos and then load it up with my favorite toppings (avocado, sour cream, shredded lettuce and jalapenos). It makes a really easy dinner!
You can also use your leftover chili for burritos or for a taco style salad. All are great options that I have tried and loved!
Amazing Chili (with leftovers)
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves of Garlic finely diced
- 1 28 ounce can or box of crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 small bag of frozen corn
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 package of sweet Italian Sausage casings removed
- 2 tbs Cumin 2 Tbs of Chili Powder, 2 tbs Sweet Paprika, crushed red pepper to taste, salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a medium to large pot on medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Add the ground beef and sausage (with the casings removes) and cook until browned
- After the meat is browned, remove the meat from the pan on to a plate and put aside. Drain out most of the grease leaving about 1-2 tablespoons and return pot to the heat. Add your diced onions and garlic to the pan and saute until translucent (about 5 minutes)
- After the onions and garlic are translucent, add the meat back in to the pot with the onions along with the crushed tomatoes and rinsed and drained beans. Mix well.
- Next add the spices and mix well. I like to pre-mix my spices ahead of time.
- Now stir in the corn and let simmer for at least 1 hour and up to 2-3 hours (making sure the simmer is light). Adjust any seasonings to taste (you can add more cumin, salt or whatever spice you like to go heavy on in your chili)!
- Serve with Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese and Tortilla Chips (or whatever toppings you like) and Enjoy!!
- Leftovers can be stored in a container in the refrigerator and warmed on the stove over Medium Heat for about 20 minutes or until hot.