Some time ago I came across this recipe for grilled citrus chicken skewers and I have never stopped making them because they are so delicious! These skewers are so moist because I marinate the chicken in the citrus and garlic marinade then keep brushing them with the marinade as they grill.
This chicken skewers recipe is citrus goodness all the way️! The ingredients are simple but the dish is so full of flavor. If you are looking for a new go-to chicken dish that you can cook for your family or entertain with, this is it!
The ingredients you will need for these skewers are:
- Chicken breasts
- Green bell peppers
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Baguette bread (optional)
The reason these skewers are so amazing and come out perfect and moist every single time you make them is because the citrus and olive oil marinade keep the chicken moist. The citrus actually cooks the chicken a little bit before it even reaches the grill. Kind of like a ceviche.
The longer you marinate this chicken the more flavorful it will be. If you do decide to marinate the chicken longer, you will notice the chicken turning white and that is ok! This is that citrus reaction to the meat.
These grilled citrus skewers are perfect for grilling anytime of year and my favorite time to add these to my rotation is whenever I can grill outside! I love grilling and I love skewers on the grill.
If I am not grilling this citrus skewers dish in the summer, I will usually be me grilling up my pork skewers with a sticky BBQ sauce. One way or other you will find me outside cooking.
For more grilling recipes:
- Flank Steak with Salsa Criolla
- Pork Kebobs with cherry BBQ sauce
- Roasted Tomato and Tomatillo Salsa
- Grilled Steak Tips with Rojo Chimichurri
Grilled Citrus Chicken Skewers
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 large green pepper cut into small quarters (to match the size of your cubed chicken)
- 1 large yellow onion cut into small quarters (again matching the size of the cubed chicken)
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- the juice of 1 large lemon
- the juice of 1 orange
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 metal skewers you can use wooden skewers but take time to soak them in water so they do not burn
- Prepare all of your vegetables, garlic, and chicken as listed above.
- In a large bowl add the garlic, olive oil, lemon, orange, a big pinch of salt and pepper and the oregano and mix well.
- Add your chicken and vegetables to the bowl and mix them all around in the marinade until everything has been coated evenly.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least an 1 hour or up to 6 hours if you are making it ahead of time.
- After you are done marinating, you can begin making the skewers.
- This is not hard, just add the ingredients alternating between the chicken, peppers and onions until all of it is used up. I usually get about 6 skewers out of this dish but this can vary depending on how much you put on each skewer.
- For the left over marinade (in the bowl after making the skewers) you will need to add about ½ cup of water to this and use this as a baste while you are grilling (see below).
- Preheat your grill for 10 minutes on medium high heat. Make sure you have a basting brush for the grilling.
- When the grill is heated add your skewers remembering to keep the heat on medium high.
- Cover the grill for 2 minutes
- After 2 minutes open the grill turn the skewers and baste with some of the leftover marinade.
- Place the lid back on the grill and grill the skewers for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat the basting and turning until the chicken is cooked all the way through (about 10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken and your grill).
- When it is done, remove it from the grill and tent with tin foil to let the juices redistribute in the chicken.