Thumbprint cookies are a classic during baking season and can have so many different types of fillings, usually jam. I am not a huge fan of jam in my cookies so we opted for a caramel filling and topped it with some nuts to add a little crunch.
These cookies are a sweet shortbread base and bake up nice and buttery. They are perfect for when you are having guests over and you want some sweet treats to lay out that people can nibble on.
We use a store bought caramel filling (I bought a salted caramel from trader joes that is all natural). You can find all natural jars of caramel usually in the ice cream area or baking area of your grocery store. It makes it so much easier to only have to deal with making homemade dough and not adding more work with making homemade caramel. You can make your own too if you prefer.
Hope you give it a try this cookie season!
Thumbprint Cookies with Caramel and Nut Topping
- 12 tbsp salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 jar of caramel sauce
- 1 cup chopped nuts walnuts, pecans or your favorite variety
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix together the butter and sugar until they are blended and creamed together. Then mix in the vanilla.
- Next, add the flour, and mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until the ingredients have combined into a dough (the dough will look crumbly at first, but just keep mixing and it will all come together, promise!)
- Once the dough comes together, use a small cookie scoop to portion out your dough, then roll each scoop into a ball. Place on a sheet pan. Use your thumb to make small indentations in the top, which will hold the caramel later.
- Once your cookies are shaped, place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- once chilled, evenly space the cookies on a new sheet pan – they will spread a little bit.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden on the edges, but still mostly pale in color.
- Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack, for at least an hour.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, with a teaspoon, scoop a dollop of your caramel into the center of the cookie. Now top with some of your chopped nuts.
- Once all the cookies have been topped with caramel and nuts, refrigerate the cookies until the caramel is set (about 15 minutes)
- Serve immediately