Cajun Chicken Pasta has to be hands down one of my favorite ways to eat pasta! The flavors are bold, spicy and creamy and everyone always loves it. My family and I call this sauce liquid gold because it is that good.
While this is not authentic cajun food, it is definitely a tasty and decadent twist on on it. Very simple to make and the fact that is has only a few ingredients makes this an ideal weeknight dish. It is also fancy enough to serve to guests without all of the work of slaving over a stove for hours. The spice factor is at about a medium on this dish but you can add or take away on the amount of cayenne pepper to suit your taste.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into about 1 inch cubes
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large tomato quartered
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 lb of fettuccine
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of paprika for the sauce
- a couple dashes of cayenne pepper for the sauce
For the chicken seasoning
- Mix together 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for your fettuccine.
- While you are waiting for your water to boil, pre-heat a large saute pan over medium heat with your olive oil.
- Dice your chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Add your seasoning to your diced chicken making sure to coat both sides. Now add your chicken to the saute pan and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-8 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking slice up all of your vegetables and mince your garlic and put aside.
- When your chicken is done cooking, remove it from the pan and put in on a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
- Keep your saute pan on the stove and add your peppers and garlic and a pinch of salt and saute until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- When the vegetables are done cooking, add your chicken back into the pan with the vegetables and turn heat down to medium low.
- Add your tomato wedges and mix it all together with the chicken and peppers. At this point go ahead and add your paprika and a couple sprinkles of your cayenne pepper.
- Now add your cream and mix it all together.
- Cover and let this sit together on medium low heat for about 10 minutes to let the flavors come together .
- At this point, your pasta water should be boiling. Add your fettuccine to the pot of boiling water and cook according to the manufacturers instructions for al dente.
- When ready, strain pasta and add it to your saute pan with the chicken and vegetables and toss well to coat all of the pasta.
- Turn your heat off now and continue to toss your pasta in the cream mixture for a couple minutes so it picks up the flavors of the sauce.
- Now taste your sauce for seasoning. Here you can add a little more salt, cayenne pepper or paprika to suit your taste.
- To assemble: Add some pasta, chicken and vegetables to a bowl and spoon over some of the cream sauce on top.